Ttr50 camshaft chain

Crzybowhntr

Apprentice Slacker
Local time
6:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm trying to figure out why my son's TTR is making so much noise from it's camshaft chain. I asked him (he's 7) to help video the noise by videoing the spot where I had the cam chain cover off but he didn't quite show the right spot.

The noise you hear is not the drive chain but rather the camshaft chain. I believe it is too long and binding up as I can roll the rear tire forward in first gear (it is difficult to do due to compression) but the chain makes a lot of noise and I believe it eventually binds up because I then have to roll the tire backwards to free it. I can almost lift the chain off the front gear by hand. Do they stretch that bad? If so, anyone have a video or description of how to change the cam chain? I had the entire top end of last night to inspect that portion and
it was immaculate.

Crzybowhntr

Apprentice Slacker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's a pic of the chain at the head area.

Attachments

• PXL_20230110_225959191.jpg
    PXL_20230110_225959191.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 14

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
5:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's a pic of the chain at the head area.

Wow, that's a lot of chain stretch. Check the chain tensioner. It's that aluminum cylinder on top of the piston cylinder. It is probably a spring type that is hydraulically dampened. Could be weak?

Crzybowhntr

Apprentice Slacker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wow, that's a lot of chain stretch. Check the chain tensioner. It's that aluminum cylinder on top of the piston cylinder. It is probably a spring type that is hydraulically dampened. Could be weak?
Thank you for the idea. I did take it off and it has a little arm that has indents in it that seems to be completely extended and can`t extend any further. I`ll try to get a pic tomorrow and post it in case I am not understanding how it works.

Crzybowhntr

Apprentice Slacker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The tensioner looks just like this one, but cleaner...
s-l1600.jpg

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
5:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thank you for the idea. I did take it off and it has a little arm that has indents in it that seems to be completely extended and can`t extend any further. I`ll try to get a pic tomorrow and post it in case I am not understanding how it works.

Get a service manual. Usually I just find someone that has a pdf download for 10 bucks or so. Worth every penny every time. Some things on bikes are unique and there is no cross to automotive knowledge. It will show you how to replace the timing chain too.

Crzybowhntr

Apprentice Slacker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Will do. Thaks for the advice.