Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
4:46 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IMG_20211013_223313574_HDR.jpg

Just got back my new Stihl MS461 woods ported by @tree monkey .
What more can I say about the legend, there was no doubt he was going to build me a great saw.
So when I was looking over my saw hoard, there were a bunch of other builders there and none from Scott, so when I came into an opportunity for a new Stihl 461 for myself, it was a no brainer where it needed to go.
As far as how it runs, well, to make it short, no normal man is going to stuff it, it's got Tree Monkey torque.
Thanks Scott for making me a wonderful saw for my collection.

IMG_20211014_170639391_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

Kiwioilboiler

346 Pic Examiner
Local time
9:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like the humility that this acquisition displays.
I was fortunate enough to snag a TM recently, and it too was in the possession of a very capable porter, of which I consider you to be also.
That the top echelon of porter's consider others saws as collectable only serves to reinforce to me the deserved reputation y'all have carved out for yourself.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like the humility that this acquisition displays.
I was fortunate enough to snag a TM recently, and it too was in the possession of a very capable porter, of which I consider you to be also.
That the top echelon of porter's consider others saws as collectable only serves to reinforce to me the deserved reputation y'all have carved out for yourself.

Congrats and welcome to the club. We're going to need a picture now. :)

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm totally surprised you got a saw from Tree Monkey.
I only wish I could come close to building a saw that cuts like your builds do.
Thanks!
Well, way I figure it, it's not all about me. I have saws from other builders as well, so when I bought that saw brand new, I figured it would be a good one for Scott to do, as that is how he likes 'em. There will be one more after this winter by another builder to add to the collection. I'll be doing some for myself coming up in the future, some off the normal work saw path I usually go down just for fun. Hopefully I can continue getting saws from other builders every now and again in the future as well.

Clint53

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
5:46 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks!
Well, way I figure it, it's not all about me. I have saws from other builders as well, so when I bought that saw brand new, I figured it would be a good one for Scott to do, as that is how he likes 'em. There will be one more after this winter by another builder to add to the collection. I'll be doing some for myself coming up in the future, some off the normal work saw path I usually go down just for fun. Hopefully I can continue getting saws from other builders every now and again in the future as well.

Thanks Stump
I'm just a hobbyist and will only port for myself.
I've had hobbies ruined because I started doing for others and didn't have time for myself. I had to get a little hard hearted and start saying "No".
Pat has been a great teacher for me. Three saws done successfully and working on more.
I wouldn't know how to act building a NIB saw. It takes just as long to clean one as build it.
Clint

Cord

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Why the 32:1 sticker? I run 50:1 in most of my saws and 40:1 for the mill. I’m about to send in my first saw for porting and I’d hate to have a third fuel type.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Why the 32:1 sticker? I run 50:1 in most of my saws and 40:1 for the mill. I’m about to send in my first saw for porting and I’d hate to have a third fuel type.

More power means more stress and heat. Needs more oil to keep everything cool and sliding properly. Just run one fuel mix. Unless you are using a substandard oil, more oil won't hurt.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
5:46 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Because it’s pretty well-known that 50:1 is to keep the EPA happy and isn’t necessarily good for the saw. It’s not so bad for smaller saws with older technology, but large cc and strato saws will suffer without the extra oil

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Short answer, because @tree monkey says so. What I mean by that is it's a ratio he believes in will keep the saw he builds running well. It's also the ratio he will stand behind if you run it.
As a side note it also happens to be the same ratio Husqvarna now recommends for their large saws. So maybe the old timer is onto something here. After all, he's only been working on saws longer than some of his end users have even been alive, so maybe, just maybe, he might know a thing or two. ;)

Cord

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Because it’s pretty well-known that 50:1 is to keep the EPA happy and isn’t necessarily good for the saw. It’s not so bad for smaller saws with older technology, but large cc and strato saws will suffer without the extra oil
That’s what I find to be interesting. For my 075 Stihl called for 40:1 and the 088 50:1 so this isn’t something new. I’ve run 50:1 in my 460 for it’s entire life. Does he want 32 in all his builds or just the more edgy ones?