Tractor tire tube protection

Crzybowhntr

Apprentice Slacker
Local time
3:57 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm looking for advice \ reviews from anyone that has used those rubber inserts that go into tractor tires that help protect tubes. I'm asking about the use of them on ag tractors.

I had a heck of a year with flats from multi flora rose while brush hogging and was considering buying or trying to make inserts.

I have my old set of tires if anyone has ever used a second set to do what I'm thinking.

Anyone???

Only the Tony

Hiding in the back of the class.
GoldMember
Local time
2:57 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IMG_20190610_194930.jpg IMG_20190609_084612.jpg
Put that through a relatively new tire in June 2019 and plugged it just to get it home. Been running a tube and liner ever since with no problems. Bush hogged through multiflora and stobbs in the field every year since with no problems.

Crzybowhntr

Apprentice Slacker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 359369 View attachment 359370
Put that through a relatively new tire in June 2019 and plugged it just to get it home. Been running a tube and liner ever since with no problems. Bush hogged through multiflora and stobbs in the field every year since with no problems.
Is that an antler? I don't think anything but foam filled would stop that flat.

Kiwioilboiler

346 Pic Examiner
Local time
7:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like the principle, but the tire gard would have to have some inherent stretch to conform exactly to the tyre size, or else the tube will make its way between tire gard and tyre and pinch imho.
(Mho based on 14 years at Bridgestone Firestone fitting in store).

How much for a rear tractor version to suit your machine?

Only the Tony

Hiding in the back of the class.
GoldMember
Local time
2:57 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is that an antler? I don't think anything but foam filled would stop that flat.
Cattle leg bone cut with a disc mower. Couldn't be much larger or I would have had to replace the tire. I'll try to remember to get a picture of the cut tomorrow.

I like the principle, but the tire gard would have to have some inherent stretch to conform exactly to the tyre size, or else the tube will make its way between tire gard and tyre and pinch imho.

Liners are tapered and are usually sized for the tire. Some we have used are cut to length. Got some in an old Farmall front tires that have been there for better than 30 years.

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We buy super heavy ply tires and hope for the best. Foam filled fronts tend to wear ball joints on MFWD tractors and we have had slippage problems on rears. The foam quit adhering to the rim and would spin. We went back and forth with the foam filling company we used and wound up replacing tires with 18 ply. We mow some nasty stuff. One thing we try to do if stobs are a problem is mow the center first and leave the “turn rows” in touched until the end. That way you are running over plants not stubble when you get to the end. It rides a lot down and doesn’t mow as nice, but our flats have went down 50-60%. It’s also a wildlife management area so aesthetics aren’t the biggest concern.

Crzybowhntr

Apprentice Slacker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I'm not sure. i think the fronts are somewhere around $175 for a 9.5x24.

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm looking for advice \ reviews from anyone that has used those rubber inserts that go into tractor tires that help protect tubes. I'm asking about the use of them on ag tractors.

I had a heck of a year with flats from multi flora rose while brush hogging and was considering buying or trying to make inserts.

I have my old set of tires if anyone has ever used a second set to do what I'm thinking.

Anyone???
If multi flora rose is puncturing your tires, you are running a too small ply. 6 ply minimum for unknown fields. Hedge or some thornier trees I can understand. Are you running filled tires? If not, try a sealer. The bone puncture is a freak thing, thorn punctures are not. Target the most expected.

I had a tire catch a rock in a field and cut through the sidewall. Was able to put a sidewall patch on the inside with a new tube. Been holding up for 4 years now. Good luck.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
I’ve been using multi-seal for years now haven’t had a problem since. I remember this guy coming into the farm and fleet when i happened to be there. I’ve been using it since. Will work with liquid ballast filled tires as well. Not sure if it works with tubes though. Might be something someone would want to check out: