High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Torque wrech?

Clackb@

Fishguy
Local time
11:02 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I've gone over a bunch of ms660 build videos in rep for my own build. The one thing that is absent in all of them is a torque wrench. Do you guys bother with Stihl factory spec torques on you fasteners during assembly?

NCFarmboy

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I do but I DO NOT use the Chinese screws OEM on cyl. and crankcase. Torque specs are usually in Nm. I use a Snapon 3/8" dr. In lbs/Nm wrench. I do not torque fly wheel nut I buzz it on w/Green Ryobi impact driver.
Shep

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wouldn’t use a impact on the flywheel nut. I use a torque wrench for that on any saw. I look up the recommended ft lb to tighten to and follow that.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:02 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We probably should but most don't as issues don't seem to arise from just doing it by hand. After a while you get a feel for what torque all the different fasteners need. We get away with it....so laziness wins.

smokey7

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Same thing with wrenching on cars very few things get torqued. If i torqyed eveeything to oem spec id spend most of my day looking up the specs . i wouldnt make any money. You get the feel and trust your judgement and move on.

Larry B

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like to send my hands out every year to get them NIST/ANSI/ASTM torque accuracy certified. You can never be too careful about torque specs. Next year i may get them Germany certified to the Gutentight standard. :risas3:

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I do it all by feel also, putting a little extra muster on the cylinder bolts and flywheel nut. On the cylinder, I do my pattern several times, and flex that T handle near it's max.

I also use Loctite on them, and make sure the surface of the flywheel and crank have been cleaned. Any grease or oil in there will result in a spin.

Make sure you block the piston (w/rope) and I tighten that nut just short of stripping it with a 1/2" drive ratchet.

After one leaking cylinder, and 2 flywheel spins, you learn to be very careful in these areas to not let it happen again.

Cleaning and prepping of the parts is very important, especially when not using a cylinder gasket. A light sand and clean with brake cleaner is cheap insurance against failure.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:02 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The OEM workshop manuals usually have all the torque specs for fasteners in NM. So they are available for those who want to use them. I think those who build a lot of saws know what fasteners a vulnerable to coming loose, getting heat seized or causing damage being too tight. They usually use sort of loctite product in some places & perhaps a heat (copper) style anti seize paste on muffler bolts. Or in some cases change out the fasteners to the ones with serrated heads so they stay put.

Lone Wolf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like to send my hands out every year to get them NIST/ANSI/ASTM torque accuracy certified. You can never be too careful about torque specs. Next year i may get them Germany certified to the Gutentight standard. :risas3:
Ya!