Local time
12:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I built a 372 with a torch and a brass hammer lol
And 4mm and 5mm t handle wrenches.
Really easy saws to work on
I have not messed with the stihl clone's.

gurwald

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On yhe "stihls" i have built every screw no matter size is torx t27, pretty nice.
I used a bfh and the case bolts to assemble the case.
Most important is to clean out the bearings, they come lubed with grit and stones.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've built several 660 and 440 clones, yes, ALWAYS clean out the bearings!

The only tools I've needed ... a HF Heat Gun ($8), hammer, ring compressor, sand paper/scotch brite, brake cleaner and some Anaerobic Gasket maker #518(if you do a BGD). Make sure your surfaces are clean (use the brake cleaner). I already had a T handle T-27 for the Stihl bolts. Also, some thin electrical solder to check your squish.

You can also get some imitation dremels at HF for from $10 - $50, and some grinding bits (carbide for cutting, diamond stone for beveling ports).

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:59 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I prefer a syringe and large diameter blunt needle for rinsing the bearings with WD40. I do it several times and rotate the bearings gently for several revolutions to be sure the grit is gone as well as with a close visual inspection. The oil pump can be full of grit too. Every kit will have its own issues. I've found FT clamshell engines tend to not have deep enough bearing pockets. That means there's the potential for the seals to deform, maybe even the bearings too, and you'd need a gasket maker that works in thick gaps. I'm working on a 250 with that issue, so I'm grinding on the bearing pockets for a better fit.

Cooper264

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Base gasket delete. You don’t put the cylinder base gasket in to acquire more power. Just use the sealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a friendly reminder , be careful with deleting the gasket. MEASURE YOUR SQUISH. I've had a few of my FT kits that where head knockers without the gasket. First one I deleted it on, I didn't check squish. Wasnt pretty.

-T-27 star bit
-mallet and a piece of wood to put in the case to kinda beat it together gingerly.
-something to clean out the bearings
-philips for the intake boot
-socket set for flywheel and clutch
-straight for chain tensioner
-And a whole lot of patients
-Something to jam the cylinder while you tighten flywheel. Iv'e had 3+ of them come off and sheer the key before I finally ordered a stop that screws in the plug hole

First one I put together took a little over 5 hours and alot of youtube. Iv'e got it down to an hour and 45 minutes. You'll learn quick

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I generally use the piston stop that came with the cheap ring compressor kit. Works well for me.

Always clean the crank and flywheel hole with brake cleaner before assembly. If they are not perfectly clean, it will spin.

Cooper264

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I generally use the piston stop that came with the cheap ring compressor kit. Works well for me.

Always clean the crank and flywheel hole with brake cleaner before assembly. If they are not perfectly clean, it will spin.

Its always a good day when your first pull on a decomp deleted 660 breaks the flywheel key (or your shoulder). I havnt gotten around to buying a ring compressor kit. Do they really make it easier? I always thought they looked like it would be just as finiky as doing it by hand

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They work well for me, and did not cost much. I would not want to be w/o it.