Tool dealers. Tool truck guys.

Stevetheboatguy

mountain dew and ibuprofen please
Local time
3:27 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anybody up here a matco tool guy? I need a ratchet rebuild kit and don't have a matco tool distributor anymore.

Steven

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:27 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Maybe post the ratchet part No as I do believe some of the 88-tooth designs and others will accept rebuild kits from Gearwrench (84T design) and perhaps other brands. There just may be some other options.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anybody up here a matco tool guy? I need a ratchet rebuild kit and don't have a matco tool distributor anymore.

Steven

You can ship it directly to Matco or to me is fine too. My Matco guy is on hiatus with the corona stuff going on though. It may be a few weeks but I'll give it a shot.

Stevetheboatguy

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Maybe post the ratchet part No as I do believe some of the 88-tooth designs and others will accept rebuild kits from Gearwrench (84T design) and perhaps other brands. There just may be some other options.

I had heard that about the gearwrench kit. Didn't know if their was any truth to it or not. I will have to look into that. My local Napa stocks gw.

The pn# of the one that needs the kit is br5t. Little 1/4" guy.

Steven

Stevetheboatguy

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You can ship it directly to Matco or to me is fine too. My Matco guy is on hiatus with the corona stuff going on though. It may be a few weeks but I'll give it a shot.

I greatly appreciate the offer. I will be in touch if I need to take you up on it.

Thank you.

Steven

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:27 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had heard that about the gearwrench kit. Didn't know if their was any truth to it or not. I will have to look into that. My local Napa stocks gw.

The pn# of the one that needs the kit is br5t. Little 1/4" guy.

Steven
Mmm...isn't the br5t a 3/8" drive ratchet in the smaller 1/4" body? Like its a small ratchet same length as a 1/4" but with a 3/8 drive anvil.

Stevetheboatguy

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mmm...isn't the br5t a 3/8" drive ratchet in the smaller 1/4" body? Like its a small ratchet same length as a 1/4" but with a 3/8 drive anvil.

Could be. I got it missing it's guts. Would be just fine by me if that was the case.

Steven

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
4:27 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Seems I have trouble getting tool truck stuff replaced the last few years. I quit buying stuff from them. I didn’t feel my small orders were appreciated all that much

Stevetheboatguy

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Seems I have trouble getting tool truck stuff replaced the last few years. I quit buying stuff from them. I didn’t feel my small orders were appreciated all that much

10-4 on that. I've been buying more Carlyle, Irwin ect ect from the local napa. Anytime anything needs replaced I give them a call or shoot them a pic of what needs replaced. Drop the old one off on my way home from work. Pick the new one up on my way in the next day. Have never had a issue with a warranty claim either.

Steven

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was asked when I bought a couple ratchets I needed kits for. Yes they are probably from the 90s but why should that matter.
This was from the snap on truck. Didn’t know I needed to keep receipts lol

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was asked when I bought a couple ratchets I needed kits for. Yes they are probably from the 90s but why should that matter.
This was from the snap on truck. Didn’t know I needed to keep receipts lol

I have never had a good snap-on guy. All of them where/are big weasels. Have had very good luck with matco.

Bilge Rat

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We had a good Snap on guy, retired a few years ago.
He had stuff stuck everywhere on his truck. Some unusual tools, super short sockets etc.
He would give me a discount for cash.

The new truck with a British female has hardly anything in stock and book prices.
No free candy,stickers, calenders etc.

The old guy was a mechanic and had a personality.

legdelimber

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had a break in back in the early 90's. They took about everything but the basic wrenches and the screwdrivers.
They took the top boxes and dumped out crates of parts to (presumably) put the power tools in.
I had receipts for all the Matco stuff, But when I got in touch with the insurance co, We came to realize no one could read the guys handwriting!
Spent over a year with both myself and the insurance co making phone calls and sending registered letters to Matco with the tool truck guys name mentioned or listed as recipient.
Matco people always saying they'll give him the message.
Never heard anything back from him.
Hard for the ins co to cut a check when no one can read the paperwork.

First work day after holidays, I always had tool payment money for him.
Matco guy (driving a 4mpg truck) was always happy to see me on those days.
....cause (by his words) no one else had any money after a holiday for some reason.

Broke me from ever taking another job where you have pay for the tools that do the companys work.

Last edited:

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Since I got out of the bizness in 2007, I have had perfect success warrantying my broken tools by mail with the four big truck brands: Snappy, Matco, Mac, and Cornwell. I drop it in the mail and a new one shows up about a week later no problemo. As much as I enjoyed dealing with the different tool truck guys when I was a tech, that business model is problematic and I certainly wouldn't ask them to drive to my place just to replace broken tools that they aren't going to earn a single cent on.

mirage

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
2:27 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When I was a snap on dealer there was a pawn shop in my Area I would stop by once a month to replace there tools . They never bought anything from me. I got a lot of snap on tools. Just had a bunch warrantee our. Called them told them I was a dealer in the 80s . They said send them a list and they will send a call tag for pickup. Got all new tools in about a week. Just call them and tell them the dealer won't warrant them because you did not buy them from him. They HATE to hear that. The dealers are not like what they used to be . Try Tekton tools you will not be sorry.

Last edited:

Guido Salvage

Supreme saw hoeder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Try Tekton tools you will not be sorry.
I have a plastic Tekton hammer I use for driving pegs in woodworking projects I got at Meijer. Also have some impact sockets I have never taken out of the package.