To conquer the Doctor

KennyWinCT

Kens Small Engines
Local time
4:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's not that that I want to beat Matt, It's that I HAVE TO beat Matt. Just kidding. This is my first foray into a complete saw build and thought it would be fun to have a friendly competition. Any advise on a 16" bar/Chain Combo to use at the GTG would be appreciated. My 340 to 346XP conversion is using an OEM top end with minimal porting (don't have a CC Specialties setup to use) and the obligatory .020 squish. Based on my conversations with Matt, he recommends a 66 tooth semi chisel chain, .325 pitch 7rim sprocket setup. Is it worth going with an 8 pin with a mainly stock saw? Is it worth buying a Sugi Hara Bar? Looking forward to the help from all of you, even Matt! Thanks, Kenny

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
It's not that that I want to beat Matt, It's that I HAVE TO beat Matt. Just kidding. This is my first foray into a complete saw build and thought it would be fun to have a friendly competition. Any advise on a 16" bar/Chain Combo to use at the GTG would be appreciated. My 340 to 346XP conversion is using an OEM top end with minimal porting (don't have a CC Specialties setup to use) and the obligatory .020 squish. Based on my conversations with Matt, he recommends a 66 tooth semi chisel chain, .325 pitch 7rim sprocket setup. Is it worth going with an 8 pin with a mainly stock saw? Is it worth buying a Sugi Hara Bar? Looking forward to the help from all of you, even Matt! Thanks, Kenny

Depending on the bar I don’t think a 66 dl will work with a 16” and 8 pin. IIRC you need a 67. I may be wrong though.

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If it’s speed your after, semi chisel isn’t it. For regular cutting it’s great.

KennyWinCT

Kens Small Engines
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't cut a lot of wood, this is more for bragging rights. Give me the numbers for a good bar and chain setup seeing what I am building and I'll order it. Again, all in good fun. Thanks.

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't cut a lot of wood, this is more for bragging rights. Give me the numbers for a good bar and chain setup seeing what I am building and I'll order it. Again, all in good fun. Thanks.
Hi Kenny: I think you better start now. Talk very nice to your saws. Give'm a little pep talk. Shine'm up nice nice. Have them eat wheeties and spinach if you are going to compete against a MOFO.
Just sayin.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
OK. Good. [emoji106]

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would run a 3/8 x 16" (60 links) and a 7 tooth sprocket. You can keep the rakers a little high if that is too much chain. There are plenty of 346's running 3/8. I think it will be a better set up, if not during a race, then certainly for the rest of the saws life...Sugi's are eye candy, not a real speed advantage that I know of.
Square ground/filed chain will usually be faster than round, not always, but usually.
Semi chisel is known more for durability than speed.

Last edited: