Three different saws, none will spit oil off the front of the bar

Jake

Active OPE Member
Local time
4:39 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Almost all of my experience with saws is running my Mac 10-10, and it has always spit oil off the front of the bar, so I always assumed that was a good test of a saw's oiler. But I have three other saws (husky 440e, husky 445, JD CS-40 or efco 940) and I can't get them to spit oil off the front.

I have checked and tested everything. Pickup isn't clogged, no other leaks, and the vent is venting. On the bench with the bar mounted (no side cover) I can spin the drum with a drill and the oil pump pumps oil out of the bar groove. But I put a chain and the side cover on it and run the engine and it won't spit out the front. After a short test run oil drips out from under the side cover, so I know it is pumping oil.

All three have pretty hard used bars. I closed the gap slightly and have tested with a gauage. The .050 fits in snugly and the .058 doesn't fit. I've also measure the chain drive spurs and they don't appear to be worn or the incorrect size.

Is it possible that I have three saws that have marginal oil pumps so they are oiling but not enough for the drive links to pick up the oil and distribute it? Is it possible that I have three completely worn out bars and/or chains?

Any advice would be welcome!

ammoaddict

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would run them a minute with the bar and chain off to check the oil output. If it is a good flow of oil, you can enlarge the oil hole in the bar to get more to the chain. The holes on the newer bars aren't as big as they use to be. I've opened them up on several bars with a drill bit or a Dremel.

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
1:39 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If they still run fine and the chains don't lock up, don't worry about it. A 2100 idling will sling more oil off the chain than any other saw I've seen, it will literally leave puddles under the tip of a 36" bar. Does that mean that all my other saws don't oil right? No, it just means they don't pump out as much oil. Provided there's traces of oil on the chain at the bottom of the bar next to the crank case you're fine.

Last edited:

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:39 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
what stump shot said. get something thin and long enough to clean the bar groove and oil holes out. if you use the saws and the saw dont use the bar oil up i would worry. if the oil tank stays full then i would start checking the saw. the bar is always the first place. i clean the groove out every time i have the chain off

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In the first post it was mentioned that oil dribbles down from the side cover .That said the problem has to be not much of it is going through the bar oil hole or blowing right through it. Some bars you about need to have both bar plates in place else they will dribble .Some might take a gasket made from a beverage can on the outside to keep it directed to the bar .

brianc636

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Could it be that the bar oil itself is the issue and needs to have something a bit thinner?

Last edited:

IffykidMn

Super OPE Member
Local time
3:39 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Could not be that the bar oil itself is the issue and needs to have something a bit thinner?
Possible yes.

I run summer weight oil whenever available even in the winter, it may glug out of the jugs unless kept in the warm cab but once in the warm saw it thins out on its own.

On the other hand I have never ran any of the saws in question and all my saws have adjustable oilers.