Dimensions: 15.3"L x 9"W x 11"H
Weight: 8.36 lbs.Tanaka1.jpg

tp2177

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Don’t know much about Tanaka’s but have you thought about an echo cs-310? 20-30 bucks cheaper and much easier dealer support plus a 5 year warranty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

David _4

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have the Hitachi top handle version of the saw you're looking at which is made by Tanaka. The Hitachi saws have a 7 year warranty. I've had this saw for 3 years now and only have about 10 tanks though it. It's not a power house, but gets the job done and is an easy starter if you follow their starting procedure. I bought mine online from Menard's when they had a killer deal at $129 delivered.

https://jet.com/product/detail/bb79...&clickid=3bf9aa26-782f-4479-b652-022df92d86ee

LittleLebowski

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Don’t know much about Tanaka’s but have you thought about an echo cs-310? 20-30 bucks cheaper and much easier dealer support plus a 5 year warranty

I'm just curious, not in the market for a saw smaller than my 421.

Cerberus

Cerberus the aardvark, not the hell-hound!!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
May as well update since I've gotten enough time behind my tanaka tcs-33edtp (top-handled version of OP's rear-handle unit)

Solid saw, mine was "damaged beyond repair" I took it in-lieu of a $25 payment from a guy I'd climbed for that day (well we considered it $25-towards-payment, A-hole never did fully pay me for that job and w/o me the job would never have been done certainly not on his deadline!) Anyway I rebuilt so much on mine (including a smashed-up ignition module from broken flywheel fins, custom-fab'd a front-chain-tensioner since the side-tensioner's guts were missing) and have been using it w/ a 16" Oregon setup and I like it for a lot of reasons although it is a pig of a saw. Specifics:

Pro's:
- Once "properly" setup (opened-up muffler & air-intake-expansion, followed by carb re-tune, mine's not setup "a bit fat for longevity" instead I aim for optimal (and figure if/when I score-up the pist./cylinder that I'll be ready to get my replacement (echo 355t), it isn't going to blow your mind but if you're coming from world-class saws but it is a strong unit I go through thick, hard stuff w/o ever feeling it's "lacking", in fact when I got it I thought it funny how it was "1/3rd bigger" than my other climbing-saw(25cc/12"), the displacement/stated-horsepower, weight, bar-length etc so I was thinking "it'd better cut 1/3rd better!" and so far as I can tell it has!!
- Great price, unit not 'locked-out' or otherwise preventing tinkering, sharp aesthetics (IMO)
- Side-tensioner

Con's:
- heavier than necessary (and bulkier in a lotta spots), if I'm to cut-up something real quick on the ground I'll grab my Tanaka if my rear-handle isn't warm, but when going-up I hate the Tanaka, I'm only 140lbs and while strong for my size the Tanaka wears me out noticeably-faster than my 25cc/12", when aloft I *only* use the Tanaka when I need >12" cutting area (and then go back to my lil 25cc)
- on *my* model (ie this could be past-abuse), the AV setup is so squishy that I'm going to cut some hard-rubber wedges and just jam the handle in-place / kill all anti-vibe features
- OEM hand-guard for chain-brake is large and w/o "see-through slots/holes/etc" (I used a grinder and made big ole windows like I did on my 25cc, drives me nuts if I can't see my bar well enough!)
- 1 bar-nut (this is so damn common on climbing-saws and so annoying, thankfully the echo 355t uses 2 mounting bolts :) )

Overall I'm happy I got it but, at over $200 new, it's hard to think of a good reason not to just poney-up for the $350 echo 355t as it's superior in all ways including lighter weight *and* more power. But, if you've got one you can fix up in several hours, go for it, it's a bit of a 'pig' for a top-handle but most certainly does its job, but if looking for lower-powered top-handles the Scheppach csp2540 has made me happy for >8mo now w/o a single issue (only adjusted its carb once, right after opening up the air-flow ie intake&exhaust), for $135 shipped it's plenty for 'low end' climb-saw and, when needing more, gotta say that while I like my Tanaka I simply wouldn't pay $230 when an extra 120 gets an echo355t...Tanaka should push to get it under a $200 price point IMO (if anybody knows whether the Hitachi 33edtp is identical, I'd love to know...can't tell if it's just same body panels, or same entire saw)

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
8:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Another Con: I got one of these in and it needed a new carb or a rebuild. Removing the carb is a PITA and looks to require a special tool. There is very limited tool clearance to the heads of the hex mounting screws, worse than any saw I had ever seen. Tanaka obviously wants no typical mechanic doing any carb work. I shipped it to a guy who only wanted spare parts for his collection.

Cerberus

Cerberus the aardvark, not the hell-hound!!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Another Con: I got one of these in and it needed a new carb or a rebuild. Removing the carb is a PITA and looks to require a special tool. There is very limited tool clearance to the heads of the hex mounting screws, worse than any saw I had ever seen. Tanaka obviously wants no typical mechanic doing any carb work. I shipped it to a guy who only wanted spare parts for his collection.
Wouldn't doubt that, I'm still not working on carb-internals but am close and wanted to do that "at home clean" of that lil metal-mesh screen in the carb under the diaphragm (think it's the fuel-pump-diaphragm side, that lil circular mesh screen that's kinda "final fuel-filter" pre-carb), my unit was most-certainly abused so I figured there's gotta be a bunch of crap in there, probably spent 2hrs "trying to approach it", saw/tools on table and me on the computer more than @the table, couldn't comfortably remove the thing ('comfortably'=confident I can put it back w/o damaging anything!)
Had looked at brand-new carbs for it and the price seemed relatively high, was definitely a factor in deciding that, when I can no longer remedy its problems simply @home, I'm just going to replace it w/ the echo355t :D Will be neat to have a saw that's a bit more powerful than my 16"(Tanaka), but lighter than my 25cc/12" by almost half a pound!!!