Thoughts on .22mag fail to fire

Stevetheboatguy

mountain dew and ibuprofen please
Local time
11:13 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So...... What are the thoughts about the pin strikes on these?

Capture+_2022-11-09-22-57-33.png Capture+_2022-11-09-22-58-55.png 1022221959.jpg 1022221959a.jpg

Steven

Stevetheboatguy

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Bad ammo. Those strikes are good enough, call Hornady and let them know. They might make it right.

Did....... They sent it back said it was a problem with the gun.......

Edit: I sent back a partial box with seven fail to fire rounds, several empties of theirs and other brands. Plus one full unopened box from the same lot. They "tested" a few rounds in the open box and a few from the sealed box. Said they didn't have any fail to fire it was a strike issue with the gun.....

I'm getting a 20% ftf rate with this ammo only. Haven't had a single ftf with any cci but did have one with a box of Winchester. That's why I thought well maybe they were on to something, but the more I look at the strikes...... Yeah..... Not impressed with the reliability of the ammo to say the least.

Steven

Last edited:

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
12:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Edit: I sent back a partial box with seven fail to fire rounds, several empties of theirs and other brands. Plus one full unopened box from the same lot. They "tested" a few rounds in the open box and a few from the sealed box. Said they didn't have any fail to fire it was a strike issue with the gun.....

I'm getting a 20% ftf rate with this ammo only. Haven't had a single ftf with any cci but did have one with a box of Winchester. That's why I thought well maybe they were on to something, but the more I look at the strikes...... Yeah..... Not impressed with the reliability of the ammo to say the least.

Steven
Rimfire ammo is pretty unreliable anyway, but clearly Hornady is all about not admitting they made a batch of ammo not up to spec. With todays lack of availability, you may want to use that for practice, where a FTF wont affect anything. Sorry dude.

farminkarman

I like the red & black ones
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Steven
This is frustrating to hear about

Reactions: Lnk

Stevetheboatguy

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Rimfire ammo is pretty unreliable anyway, but clearly Hornady is all about not admitting they made a batch of ammo not up to spec. With todays lack of availability, you may want to use that for practice, where a FTF wont affect anything. Sorry dude.

That's basically where this is at. Plinking ammo at best. I've honestly never had a issue with 22 mag. This is was a first.

I would have thought that they would have opened and inspected the fail to fire cartridges....... But they must not do that.

I also thought they would fire a whole box instead of picking random rounds out and just shooting them. I mean come on man..... I had a couple full mags cycle without issue. It's totally random when the ftf happens. But I have gotten at least two in every box.

Some dont even fire with a double strike. Did you see that one in the pic?

In all honesty I'm just glad I practice with the same ammo I carry.

And after the pass the blame game that they gave. I won't be sending any of my $ in their direction. Wish Underwood had a rimfire line! That would be sweet. But from here on out I'm sticking to CCI and Federal.

Steven

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Agreed.

I just needed a few more opinions on the strikes.

Steven

I don't see anything wrong with the firing pin. All I shoot damn near is rimfire. Out of 8 different guns I have, I've had 15 or so out of the last 5000 rounds ftf. The ones that didn't go I spun and they fired on a different spot on the primer.

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Primer strikes are fine as said previously. A guy at work was talking about this same Hornady .22 mag ammo a few weeks ago if I’m not mistaken…same ftf with quite a few rounds.

And typical company response from Hornady to you…not our problem, it’s your gun that has fired thousands, possibly tens of thousands of rounds through it…right up to the point of using our ammo. Lol

Last edited:

blades

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
ftf with what looks like good hits - pull your bolt apart. besides crud inside that could soften the blow, if there are a lot of rounds on the unit it is possible that there is wear internally in/on the bolt from the firing pin spring on the bore of the bolt or on the pin itself. this will cause random ftf. what happens is the coils of the get hung on the almost imprecetible ridges just enough to slow the pin down resulting in problem. You will likely need a magnifing glass to see this. I do not see this often but enough to always check when faced with this from a customer. built up crud in the chamber + a bit long on head space gap can also cause this. Round chambers ok and extracts ok but is just shy of being fully seated, pin hits and pushes round the rest of the way home but a lot of the strike force is absorbed in the process. Again kind of rare but its out there.
and just for grins mike the rim thickness of the fired rounds vs those that ftf. To thin a rim can cause this also - which is a mfg problem. Another Mfg problem that occurs ramdomly is a lot of brass that is bit to hard.

Stevetheboatguy

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
ftf with what looks like good hits - pull your bolt apart. besides crud inside that could soften the blow, if there are a lot of rounds on the unit it is possible that there is wear internally in/on the bolt from the firing pin spring on the bore of the bolt or on the pin itself. this will cause random ftf. what happens is the coils of the get hung on the almost imprecetible ridges just enough to slow the pin down resulting in problem. You will likely need a magnifing glass to see this. I do not see this often but enough to always check when faced with this from a customer. built up crud in the chamber + a bit long on head space gap can also cause this. Round chambers ok and extracts ok but is just shy of being fully seated, pin hits and pushes round the rest of the way home but a lot of the strike force is absorbed in the process. Again kind of rare but its out there.
and just for grins mike the rim thickness of the fired rounds vs those that ftf. To thin a rim can cause this also - which is a mfg problem. Another Mfg problem that occurs ramdomly is a lot of brass that is bit to hard.

Agreed for the most part. These were run through a pmr30. That is meticulously maintained and cleaned. I do that because of their reputation of feeding problems. This particular gun has been extremely reliable and problem free. And never a fail to fire until this ammo lot. The one winchester. Was a fluke. I reloaded it offset a few degrees like the one in the above pictures. It fired. Shouldn't have to do that, but it happens. At least the Winchester was just labled as small game and not critical defense........ That term is laughable to me after talking to the rep.

But hey I'm just a inexperienced nobody in their eyes.......

:risas3::risas3::risas3::risas3::risas3::risas3:

I'm pretty much a peace that it's the ammo and not the gun. It sucks that a company that is supposed to have some of the most reliable ammo on earth.......... Yeah........

Steven

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Agreed for the most part. These were run through a pmr30. That is meticulously maintained and cleaned. I do that because of their reputation of feeding problems. This particular gun has been extremely reliable and problem free. And never a fail to fire until this ammo lot. The one winchester. Was a fluke. I reloaded it offset a few degrees like the one in the above pictures. It fired. Shouldn't have to do that, but it happens. At least the Winchester was just labled as small game and not critical defense........ That term is laughable to me after talking to the rep.

But hey I'm just a inexperienced nobody in their eyes.......

:risas3::risas3::risas3::risas3::risas3::risas3:

I'm pretty much a peace that it's the ammo and not the gun. It sucks that a company that is supposed to have some of the most reliable ammo on earth.......... Yeah........

Steven
Of course it’s your fault and the guns’ fault…send me the gun immediately so I can properly dispose of it, then notify Hornady that said gun has permanently been taken out of service. It’s really not complicated…I’ll PM you my addy. Lol

Stevetheboatguy

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Of course it’s your fault and the guns’ fault…send me the gun immediately so I can properly dispose of it, then notify Hornady that said gun has permanently been taken out of service. It’s really not complicated…I’ll PM you my addy. Lol

That only works with saws Jarhead........

Hope you enjoy your veterans day. SemperFi

Got to track down my kid brother and wish him the same.

Steven

Stevetheboatguy

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So....... Don't know why buy a box from hornady came fedex today. One resealed box of .22wmr inside?????? Leaves me with more questions than answers.....

Different kind of company I guess. Seems like the left hand doesn't know what the right is doing.

Steven

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Primer strikes are good, alot of new guns don't strike that hard and fire just fine. I believe alot of ammo makers have let their standards slip in order to get product out the door, especially since they know people will keep buying it anyway. Some trays of Remington primers have had 15-20 that are so hard none of my guns will set them off.

Seachaser

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Rimfire: always try different ammo.
If not that, a good cleaning usually will suffice.
If not those two, then time for new parts.