TreeLife

I'm Dominick
GoldMember
Local time
7:23 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Like the title says, I'm considering going to a 3/4 ton truck from a half ton. I'm not really brand biased. I've had Fords, dodges and gms over the years and I'm not opposed to anything. Will be extended cab or short 4 door and 8 foot box

Will likely buy either brand new or slightly used. What are you rocking?
What do you like?
What don't you like?
Is there anything you regret?
Did you go gas or diesel?

I'm currently driving a 2019 f150 ecoboost which I love, but it just isn't enough truck for towing the heavy dump trailer and for beds full of material and firewood.

Lemme know!

Lnk

Stock Chainsaws do not suck!
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Like the title says, I'm considering going to a 3/4 ton truck from a half ton. I'm not really brand biased. I've had Fords, dodges and gms over the years and I'm not opposed to anything. Will be extended cab or short 4 door and 8 foot box

Will likely buy either brand new or slightly used. What are you rocking?
What do you like?
What don't you like?
Is there anything you regret?
Did you go gas or diesel?

I'm currently driving a 2019 f150 ecoboost which I love, but it just isn't enough truck for towing the heavy dump trailer and for beds full of material and firewood.

Lemme know!
Find a truck configured the way you like, at a price you are OK with. The brand thing only applies if you are a fanboy. They all made good trucks, and crap trucks. I have two fords and a Chevy. Two half ton and a 3/4 ton. I like them all. My objection to dodge is based on being bailed out twice, and now being owned by fiat.

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m currently driving a 2004 Chevy 2500HD, crew cab, short bed, 4x4 with the 6.slow gas. It does everything I need from being a pickup to pulling 10k when needed. Our agency has several gas burners and I lucked out with a F250 with a 6.7. It’s actually my second 6.7. I’ve not had any of the issues you hear about. The last truck had 190,000 when traded in as a fleet vehicle. My new one is still under 20,000 miles. My technician has a 6.4 gas F250. It’s a pig and won’t pull very well with the 6 speed. I think his is a 2014-2015. Our son is getting my truck when he turns 15 so I’ve been looking. I’m stuck between the F250 with the 7.3 gas or a Chevy 2500HD with the 6.6 gas. I don’t pull nearly enough for a diesel. If I pulled daily, I would look into one. I test drove a 6.6 gas for a few days and really liked it compared to my 6.0 gas. Chevy rides better and has better seats in my opinion. At least in the “work truck” classes. I’m a vinyl seat, vinyl floor type guy. My seats in my work truck aren’t going to hold up well for very long. They are already wearing and the bolsters are breaking down. That’s with using the running boards but I also wear a duty belt most days. Good luck with your search.

LAWN BOY

Pothole
Local time
4:23 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m 16 and my first/only truck is a 3/4 ton. A 2002 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0 gas. I like it. I like Fords and GMs both even tho both do have their crap models and stuff. I have no good experience with dodge. I don’t ever want a half ton. I like the old Fords with the 7.3 diesels. My dad has one and it runs amazing with 266K miles. I’m considering one as my next truck. I don’t have much experience with the newer trucks like you want.

hacskaroly

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:23 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Everything is a short bed
Don't need a long bed when all you are hauling is groceries. Many of the trucks around here are quad cabs with short beds and lots of bling. Tires tend to tell the story that they have never been off road. They hold kayaks pretty well though.

Woodwackr

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
5:23 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Don't need a long bed when all you are hauling is groceries. Many of the trucks around here are quad cabs with short beds and lots of bling. Tires tend to tell the story that they have never been off road. They hold kayaks pretty well though.
Useless, imo

thompsoncustom

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:23 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've had both the Ford 6.7 diesel and the Dodge 6.7. Both were great trucks and I can really complain about either of them both have about the same power specs but I do like that the ford has a 10 speed transmission and I think dodge is still running the 6 speed.

Another Tip: Diesel is cheaper than gas if you use the mudflap app and fill up at the semi pumps.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
1999 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Ext Cab Long Box
24v Cummins Diesel NV4500 5 speed
405,5++ miles and going up every day.
Older, paid for. Does what a truck is supposed to do. Not much fancy junk to go bad. Rides well. Reliable. Easy to work on, when needed (and they ALL need work eventually). Cheap to insure and license.

Hauls around about 1,100 lbs daily with the fuel transfer tank and tool box in the bed. I love it. New is nice, but not necessary for me.

thompsoncustom

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cheaper yet when you fill up out back at the ag barrel…
ya your right I should have said legally but either way depending on your state its about the same price (6 cents difference here between mudflap price and red diesel) so you can get green diesel for the price of red and not have to worry about the $1000+ fine and felony if your caught.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lnk

Bluzharp

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I thought I didn't need a diesel as well. I only haul occasionally and that is a truck camper and tow either a boat or side by side. Last year I found a F250 Tremor on the lot with the 6.7 HO in it. Traded my Tacoma (4th one) and drove it home. I like it, aside from the super overdone and sometimes poorly done electronics. Gobs of power and it drives well. It is my first diesel and probably my last truck. It has the super crew cab with 6ft 9in bed.

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My 2006 GMC LBZ Duramax 8' box extended cabin only has 269,000 miles and runs like the day I bought it. Neighbor has a 2007 with over 500,000 on it and it's still in service. He owns one Ram, 3 Fords ( two 7.3 one 6.7), 4 Chevy's all diesel's and they get used hard, pulling boring equipment.

cus_deluxe

terms of service violator
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i have a 2016 chevy 3/4 ton, gas, crew cab (a requirement for me with two kids), short box (cuz crew cab/long box is just too damn long). i had to go searching for crew cab/short box/gas/work truck package, but im glad i did. so far its been great and does what i ask, which sometimes is a lot. no regerts.

cus_deluxe

terms of service violator
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i should add, i had to go searching for one that didnt have a million miles. i bought this one in WV, 50k miles, a few dings, but its for work and ive added a couple. 107k now.