CJ Brown

I learned it from a hockey card...
GoldMember
Local time
9:27 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I have been in a long process of restoring a Husqvarna 444SG and today I have begun re-assembling. As part of the restoration I had planned to check the ring end gap and if worn I would replace the rings. This saw has 2 thin .62mm steel rings. Since I have never checked the ring end gap on these style rings, you can imagine my surprise when the gap near the top of the cylinder was approximately 2.5mm (.098"). I was further surprised when I installed a new ring and discovered it was not much better. After some head scratching I decided I had better find out the wear spec according to the service manual. Turns out, 3mm ring end gap is the spec for ring replacement.

Has anybody else ever ran into this? I imagine compression readings when the saw is cold are artificially low and go up a lot when the saw is at operating temps and the rings have expanded.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I have been in a long process of restoring a Husqvarna 444SG and today I have begun re-assembling. As part of the restoration I had planned to check the ring end gap and if worn I would replace the rings. This saw has 2 thin .62mm steel rings. Since I have never checked the ring end gap on these style rings, you can imagine my surprise when the gap near the top of the cylinder was approximately 2.5mm (.098"). I was further surprised when I installed a new ring and discovered it was not much better. After some head scratching I decided I had better find out the wear spec according to the service manual. Turns out, 3mm ring end gap is the spec for ring replacement.

Has anybody else ever ran into this? I imagine compression readings when the saw is cold are artificially low and go up a lot when the saw is at operating temps and the rings have expanded.
You need to factor in the ring pin thickness if the ring isn’t notched

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Kevin took all the brains and didn't leave any for the rest of us...no fair.

Mark
You, sir, have forgotten more than I will know for a long time

It was fresh in my mind because I did the same thing looking into my first thin ring P62

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
8:27 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Kevin took all the brains and didn't leave any for the rest of us...no fair.

Mark
brain.jpg
You, sir, have forgotten more than I will know for a long time

It was fresh in my mind because I did the same thing looking into my first thin ring P62

It's the sausages, they being larger have more nerve endings to send more information to the brain than lesser digits could possibly ever do. At least that's my theory. Lol