Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
6:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I keep forgetting to post this.
Fire away! Tuning in wood, tuning for different conditions, different length bars or chains. Post instructional vids or vids asking for help.
I’ll add some later as well.

Last edited:

ammoaddict

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have seen some good ones, it would be nice if they were all in the same place.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

kneedeepinsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
7:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What we really need is a video that shows a chainsaw that will not tune properly and why. It seems most of the new guys and even myself get confused when a saw doesn’t respond properly.

I would be very interested in a video for tuning in which the saw is mechanically fine but the carb is not. Symptoms of a dirty or passing metering needle, leaking pump side seals and bad or passing check nozzles. videos for this information are few and far between!!!!
So you master carb experts, you wanna purposely put in a faulty check valve and show the before and after on a saw that is mechanically sound? I’d be willing to donate money for parts :)

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Haven’t gotten around to putting vids up yet. Mine I’m looking for input more than giving instruction.

Just remembered something I keep meaning to ask: if you have a saw (grunty ported limited coil) that keeps hitting the 4stroke when you lift even the slightest bit, how do you know when to lean it and when to make the chain more aggressive?

BK13

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ll be following this thread. I figure I’m about due to treat myself to a 372 clone.

pwheel

Finis Origine Pendet
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Getting used to a new ms461. The tachometer hates it. Four gallons of mix so far. Tuned in the cut with an occasional burble.

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'll toss this question out there, why can I not hear a clear "burble" on some saws? My brother's muff-modded, ported 365 has a very noticeable burble but other saws I've run don't. I can't name models off the top of my head, but some saws have a very noticeable burble while others never seem to 4-stroke.

SpaceBus

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

I reference this one with new saw mechanics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I used this very video after Kevin built a saw for me. Now I tune all of my saws and am much happier than when I first started using chainsaws and was afraid to turn those screws. If only cars were as easy to work with!

ManiacalMark

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Coil sometimes too.

I just had that problem with my 066. Ran fine when I put it up, went to start it and it wouldn’t run long no matter how I tuned it. Checked the spark and the coil was pretty much dead. Swapped the coil and plug, viola

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It’s not too bad if you know what the screws do. And realize when fiddling with the screws isn’t gonna solve the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'll toss this question out there, why can I not hear a clear "burble" on some saws? My brother's muff-modded, ported 365 has a very noticeable burble but other saws I've run don't. I can't name models off the top of my head, but some saws have a very noticeable burble while others never seem to 4-stroke.
I think the main reason is how restricted the muffler is, and to a lesser degree port timing. Stock mufflers can be so stuffed up that there is little difference between 2 & 4 stroke sounds. Hearing protection may help filter out high frequency noise, so you can better hear the 4 stroking.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
What we really need is a video that shows a chainsaw that will not tune properly and why. It seems most of the new guys and even myself get confused when a saw doesn’t respond properly.

I would be very interested in a video for tuning in which the saw is mechanically fine but the carb is not. Symptoms of a dirty or passing metering needle, leaking pump side seals and bad or passing check nozzles. videos for this information are few and far between!!!!
So you master carb experts, you wanna purposely put in a faulty check valve and show the before and after on a saw that is mechanically sound? I’d be willing to donate money for parts :)
Send me kit for an early 084 HT 7A carb.

If you want to see the difference a good NOS 7A vs a who knows wtf is wrong with the original carb on it that would be a good video.
Might just need a kit due to stiff soft parts or maybe more is lurking in there. It absolutely will not hold a tune, idol or cold start properly. Big giant PIA! carb. A quick swap to new made it all better.

Last edited:

SpaceBus

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

This would have saved my poor 346XS :(