High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

The Husqvarna 357 XP rebuild

Birddog

Active OPE Member
Local time
9:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Okay, so I replaced the seals in the Husqvarna 357 XP, pressure tested it, and no leaks. While in the case I noticed that the thing didn't have the crank stuffers. Anyway, put the cylinder on the case with no base gasket and timing it. The numbers:

Squish: 0.020
Exhaust: 105 ATDC; duration 150
Intake: 75 BTDC; duration 150
Blow down: 20

I am thinking about just widening the exhaust and opening up the lower transfers a bit.

Without having the stuffers are they good numbers? What would be better your ideal numbers?

Remembering back from my early youth and dirt bikes....... A friend have his engine sent out and had his upper transfers (lack of better words) squared, made them all at the same height. It seemed that was always waiting for me because of it. Would that help increase the performance in a saw? Just curious.

I appreciate all the help!

Funky sawman

Pony Power
Local time
6:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sorry, couldn't help you with the numbers. Ported saws and numbers are overrated and confusion is inflicted upon those like me. I can tell you the squish looks good!

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
8:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Remembering back from my early youth and dirt bikes....... A friend have his engine sent out and had his upper transfers (lack of better words) squared, made them all at the same height. It seemed that was always waiting for me because of it. Would that help increase the performance in a saw? Just curious.

Yep. I do exactly that to a lot of models. Your 357 might not gain much from that without a few other tweaks though. Unless you have a right angle handpiece and the right burrs, you would have a hell of a time with it.

Personally, I'd widen the exhaust, do a good muffler mod, and advance the ignition timing......and run it.