Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
10:52 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Today being the anniversary of the battle of the bulge(1944) had me thinking when working on the oil line for the 036 that maybe the Germans were not over it, and have decided to retaliate, as this is one most messed up things I've ever seen on a saw, everything else pales in comparison. I would rather work on a crate full of Mini-Mac's than do just one of these. Anyway, this is how it went...
First ruin a perfectly good tool by drilling a hole in it and ruin the drill bit as well they are both tool steel. Then make a tool as it could not be supplied in the kit. After cutting the line to proper length(another job too insignificant for Stihl to do) put the too small hard plastic line onto the too large metal nipple of the oil pump. Now realize that the brake band is in the way, take it off and lose the little bitty pin that cost too much time/money to attach. Spend rest of day taking apart shop, not finding said pin, it has permanently left the planet. Tell yourself again, there must be a better way than this. Realize seal is coming apart on the crankshaft. Throw the whole show in a box that it was in, in the first place and rightfully where it should have stayed. Go in house to eat dinner and make up a ridiculous thread on OPE about it, to try and make yourself feel better about being beaten by a German Engineer.
If it seems like I'm being petty, it could be so, but once a certain level of being PO'd has been reached, every little thing scratches on that exposed nerve spinning me into yet another level I did not yet know. Totally blinding reality at hand. Fortunately this affliction is temporary and I can come back to this when my sanity returns. Thank you for your understanding and forgiveness in this matter.
I do plan on winning this war, while the start of this battle was a little shaky on my part, I will succeed, eventually...

IMG_20161216_121001_937.jpg

Definitive Dave

Piss Rev Mafia Member
GoldMember
Local time
11:52 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know that place, I go there sometimes to curse the engineers who make something more complicated instead of more better-er.
The box will be there later, gently warm the line a LITTLE and it will slide nicely on the pump nipple, the other end is the real MFer.

Definitive Dave

Piss Rev Mafia Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
when you get this first lesson in unnecessary frustration completed I can send you an 076 with a bad oil pump to repair :) MWahahahahahahaaaaaaaa
the engineers changed their minds at least 16 times during the production run including a specialty tool that never made any of the tech documents but is necessary for some of the upgrades

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know that place, I go there sometimes to curse the engineers who make something more complicated instead of more better-er.
The box will be there later, gently warm the line a LITTLE and it will slide nicely on the pump nipple, the other end is the real MFer.

I did go on my own and warm the line with a heat gun on low. I'm not to the MFer spot yet. Had to cool down my jets a bit. Meanwhile my mind is thinking of soft copper line and modifications. Best stay the course for now. Going out to the shop to look for a new set of seals, I'm starting to think I may have some here, which I could not do when my a s s was RED.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
when you get this first lesson in unnecessary frustration completed I can send you an 076 with a bad oil pump to repair :) MWahahahahahahaaaaaaaa
the engineers changed their minds at least 16 times during the production run including a specialty tool that never made any of the tech documents but is necessary for some of the upgrades

Starting to think we A-bombed the wrong country.

Definitive Dave

Piss Rev Mafia Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
when they get warm they tend to squish closed and then no oil to the bar
they get heated a little from the crankcase but the bar plate gets warm with transferred bar heat and the end gets squish-a-fied, that why the spring and brass insert are there

or it could be a German plot to overcharge us for a little black tube - oh hell am I part of a conspiracy? I'm an unwitting pawn I tell you, it's not my fault....

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
they get heated a little from the crankcase but the bar plate gets warm with transferred bar heat and the end gets squish-a-fied, that why the spring and brass insert are there

or it could be a German plot to overcharge us for a little black tube - oh hell am I part of a conspiracy? I'm an unwitting pawn I tell you, it's not my fault....

Well, it is true, I did purchase it from you, hmmmm dot dot dot

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
SS, you made me laugh out loud!!!

Hey, my Dad was in the Battle of the Bulge (Tank Destroyers under Patton) and I got an 034 (being converted to an 036) on my bench. Had a H*** of a time just getting that F*** oil line off, and have been procrastinating (it is hunting season) doing the bearings and that dam* oil line!!!!!

CFB gave me some other line to try, but I have not played with it yet, I'm ascared! (for those who don't know, that is the old Bronx pronunciation). It went along with terlet (toilet) and earl (oil).

"Are you ascared to earl the terlet?"

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
8:52 PM
User ID
Reaction score

Sounds like I'm gonna have to keep an eye on it though I did use the brass insert to keep it open and in place.
I'm wondering if tygon has a higher heat tolerance than what was available at the time the warning came out?

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sounds like I'm gonna have to keep an eye on it though I did use the brass insert to keep it open and in place.
I'm wondering if tygon has a higher heat tolerance than what was available at the time the warning came out?
I used Tygon for an impulse hose on my 7900 and it melted off. Echo fuel line hasn't melted yet. Just throwing it out there

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well thinking about the battle of the bulge went has motivated me to give this another go. We Americans simply showed up every time the Germans started poking for a weak spot to go through, the whole line was weak but they were held off until the big guns could arrive. Ss I dug around and sure enough had a set of 036 seals so I got out the big gun and ripped that darned old sad one out of there, it gave up right quick like, might say it was overkill, then I think of Bert from Tremors who said "There is no such thing as overkill".

IMG_20161216_200721_884.jpg

Dug out my seal tool slider overer.

IMG_20161216_201020_516.jpg

IMG_20161216_201139_601.jpg
IMG_20161216_201150_910.jpg

Slipped that seal right past the German lines, that were looking to destroy it.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Then I got out another gun to rage against the battle.

IMG_20161216_201212_394.jpg

Bam! Direct hit to the enemy.

IMG_20161216_201222_374.jpg

IMG_20161216_201325_183.jpg
The German was nearly defeated the oil pump line went in with out a hitch then all at once without warning a sneak attack unfolded in the most unusual way. Threading the screws that retain the oil pump to the case I heard "Crack", there went the threads, I looked in my hands, "Oh No!" a darn German made T27 wrench, they got me again! So after some thread repair the pump finally relinquished and the battle was over.

IMG_20161216_202958_439.jpg

Strangely enough the actual line went in easy, it was all the collateral damage all around it, that made this such a chore.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
With the saw all back together and all the funin' over, I would formally like to thank all those folks here that helped me along like @Mastermind for giving me the heads up, and @Definitive Dave for having the parts needed to get the job done right and witty banter to pull me through, plus all the numerous others that chimed in as well. Thanks guys! It was a hoot! Now if I only knew where that crate of Mini-Macs was that @Jon1212 sent me dot dot dot