The bench vise

NCPT

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As my number of saws grow, and my ability to work on them increases, I have decided to upgrade from the dinky Irwin I currently have. So I'm looking for suggestions for a new bench vise. I have been scanning CL for a while for a solid Columbian or Wilton but nothing is coming up and I need a bigger vise sooner than later. I dont mind buying new as long as it is quality. I'm currently looking at the 5.5" Wilton Mechanics Pro.

Thanks

sawnami

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I prefer vintage/antique vises.
We have around 20 vises in the shop where I work. The trouble-free vises are the ones that are over 40 years old. The newer ones often end up worn out or broken and not repairable. You can still get quality vises but they are very expensive and still seem to wear out quicker than the old ones. You can get replacement parts for the quality vises though.
My favorite in my shop is a Charles Parker that is close to 100 years old. The swivel base is locked with a cast iron expanding brake shoe to hold it and it's immovable when locked.
If you watch, you can get a great deal on one of these vintage vises. (I gave $30 for my Parker).
81b3d7db39f273ef0f474b39b5b7953f.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
image.jpg

Was my Grandfather’s. He got it when he was a Carpenter’s apprentice from his Journeyman mentor. He told me it was pre-1900. Not sure if true or not but its OLD, heavy and works perfectly.

NCPT

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice vises. I would rather have an older one and will keep looking but I need something now. What size jaws yall find to be handy? 5-6"?

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There is another thread someplace about vises of which I'm not certain how many I have nor how many quality vises I've given away .All were old and most were free .Scrap passes from work when they changed the assembly lines and just bought all new .Then come the Kennedy tool boxes same same .

CJ Brown

I learned it from a hockey card...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have this one. It made of ductile iron so it's pretty strong. It works smoothly and clamps strongly. Swivel locks into notches so it won't move. Everything works smoothly on it.

Last edited:

Leafy

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got my vintage vise attached to a work bench. It fell off the truck before I bought it and broke the drive block which I replaced with a shaft collar. So if you're really desperate to find an old vice don't forget to check Craigslist postings for work benches to see what's already bolted to them.

CJ Brown

I learned it from a hockey card...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

furb

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What's the best way to open a locked up vise? I have a few that are jammed.