testing

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:06 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This applies to all saws and other small engine equipment. Is there a service standard for how long seals last or a time frame when to check them. How many years or hours of operation before a pressure/vac test should be performed to keep from wrecking a piece of equipment?

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:06 AM
User ID
Reaction score
This applies to all saws and other small engine equipment. Is there a service standard for how long seals last or a time frame when to check them. How many years or hours of operation before a pressure/vac test should be performed to keep from wrecking a piece of equipment?
No limits. Vac and pressure test it.

msellers

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am far from an expert; but if it is an unknown saw, or starts acting funny. I tend to er on the side of caution and test before I use, or continue to use a piece of equipment. It is easier and cheaper to replace seals than a whole saw.
Mike

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i always run a new piece to see how it runs first. but it got me to thinking. i have a shindawa hedge trimmer that is probably close to 20 years old still like new it only gets used once a year and i always dumped the gas and then ran it until there wasnt any left in it. it always starts right up and the lines are in good shape but was thinking about the seals

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
keeping stuff in the garage and stored properly how long do seals last

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i have an 046 from the 90s still on the factory seals but i havent ran it in a long time. When it gets wet it will randomly shock the piss out of ya. havent been able to figure out why. used to use it as a backup saw but hasnt been fired up in years. im pretty sure it is one of the good D cylinder saw because it is really strong. it just sits there waiting on my time for a new project

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
i have an 046 from the 90s still on the factory seals but i havent ran it in a long time. When it gets wet it will randomly shock the piss out of ya. havent been able to figure out why. used to use it as a backup saw but hasnt been fired up in years. im pretty sure it is one of the good D cylinder saw because it is really strong. it just sits there waiting on my time for a new project
Shockingly good runner

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a Poulan S25DA I bought around 1974-75 .I have changed the clutch side seal about 7-8 years ago .only rebuilt the carb once .I also have my dads Mac pm 610 circa around 1980 that's never had a seal or the carb get funky .My model of that saw has had the carb rebuilt once ,no seals .I bought it used . BTW for reasons unknown Macs are easy on seals for some reason . Conversely Stihl 200T's are not seal friendly. Bad seals are what have killed them over the years .--and that is a study all of it's own for another time .