Tecomec Stump Vise with Chain Stop

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
1:09 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like stump vises: I like the guide bar and chain held stable when I file, so that I can use both hands to control the file, and so that I don't have to contort my body to hold the saw when sharpening in the field.

So I was interested in this one, which has a chain stop / pawl to hold the chain the same way that Tecomec and Oregon grinders do. This eliminates the need to repetitively activate the chain brake, or to mess with chain tension just for sharpening.

IMG_2675.jpg

Tecomec Stump Vise with Chain Stop (model10909008)
http://www.tecomec.com/category/_chain_saw_accessories/index.htm

The first thing I noticed is that this vice is slightly smaller than the 'standard' ones. The main casting is pretty heavy, with a unique, 'T'-shaped mounting prong (the other leg is actually a depth stop). Holds well: I actually had to pry this one out after using it.

IMG_2749.JPG

The small rod feels a little light, but tightens the clamping screw securely. Due to the chain stop this model has a number of small fasteners that a typical stump vise would not. I did add a drop of Loctite to one of the small nuts, and snugged it up a bit more, just to make sure that I would not lose it.

I really like the chain stop feature; it speeds up the filing process, and feels very familiar to me as a grinder user. Worth the added bit of complexity.

IMG_2673.jpg
IMG_2674.jpg

This model sells for about $17 online. The same stump vise without the chain stop sells for a few dollars less.

Philbert

Attachments

• IMG_2672.JPG
    IMG_2672.JPG
    822.9 KB · Views: 26

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
2:09 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thays a nice one.
I got an oregon on and a home made one. I use the homemade one most of the time. I dont usually sharpen that often in the bush unless the wood is dirty and dulling the chain.
Will have to have a look at the saw shoo and see if we have them vices over here yet.

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk

Derf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Someone should pat a guy at Tecomec on the back for improving on the age old stump vise design.

Things I like:
- The pawl to stop the chain
- The T handle design of the clamp, like a real vise instead of a wing-nut style screw.
- the single leg if that’s all you need

Things I question:
- there looks to be limited space to hit the top and drive it into a stump.
- where you are supposed to hit is right next to the arm mechanism, which probably won’t take a direct blow too well
- a plastic thumb nut to secure the arm with the pawl (really?)
- excessive hardware provides multiple failure opportunities.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
7:09 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Someone should pat a guy at Tecomec on the back for improving on the age old stump vise design.

Things I like:
- The pawl to stop the chain
- The T handle design of the clamp, like a real vise instead of a wing-nut style screw.
- the single leg if that’s all you need

Things I question:
- where you are supposed to hit is right next to the arm mechanism, which probably won’t take a direct blow too well
It looks like the chain stop assembly can easily be removed for the purpose of banging the vise into a log.

MarkEagleUSA

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You're probably supposed to remove the pawl assembly in order to drive it into a round. Not the best solution but I do like the overall design of this thing.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes, yes, and yes. All valid points.

As noted by @Wilhelm and @MarkEagleUSA, I removed the chain stop part before setting the main/anvil portion with a hammer.

The 'polymer' (sounds better than 'plastic'?) knob is actually a threaded screw, about 5/8" long (but probably metric). You could replace this with a thumb screw and washer if lost, damaged, or just preferred.

The additional hardware for the chain pawl (2 springs / circlips, 2 small nuts) are pretty simple hardware store items, and proven on thousands of Tecomec and Oregon chain grinders. Yeah, they could get lost in the field; that's why I applied some Loctite on the nuts, and carry it in a small pouch. Yeah, it is more complicated than a basic stump vise, but that is the cost of the added feature.

Philbert

Last edited:

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
File Guide Clearance

This was an issue raised on 'another' site. I sharpened this chain (STIHL MS 261, .325 pitch) with a standard Oregon file guide, filing one or two cutters ahead of the stop / pawl, or in some cases, placing the pawl behind a depth gauge. It held the chain fine for sharpening with a sharp file.

IMG_2676.jpg

Philbert

Last edited: