High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Talk to me about snowmobile trailers

Local time
8:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
My parents live in NH and right now there are 4 snowmobiles at their place. The old man has an old ski-doo branded galvanized 4 place open trailer, but the axles are shot (one wheel/hub fell off somewhere on the highway). He is looking for a 2 place clamshell style trailer. I know next to nothing about snowmobile trailers, so any advice would be appreciated. What to look for, what to avoid, options i don’t know about. He is looking for a used trailer as to not invest too much more money into the hobby.

Advice?

KYsawman

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I really like the karavan brand, aluminum tilt, really nice. The steal ones like to rust with salt, but can be easily painted and welded on.

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I really like the karavan brand, aluminum tilt, really nice. The steal ones like to rust with salt, but can be easily painted and welded on.

Found several ‘Snow Pro’ brand for sale locally, any experience with them?

stihl livin

Do the Dallas
Local time
7:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@stihl livin might be able to shed some light. He runs Cats, so his trailers have more miles than his sleds

GFY Kevin. My sleds have sat for years and fire right up a go right down the trail like new. On the side of trailers I had a triton prestige inline and while it was a great trailer the seals would always freeze up which sucked. As for the clam shell style I believe floe has the best ones on the market. Thinks to look for are do you have reverse? Do you have inside storage for the trailer? Some of the older style clam shells were fiberglass and don’t with stand the sun well. Triton makes a clamshell style but not sure how the seals are with freezing up. If you don’t have reverse I’d look at a 12’ v nose with pull out ramp to drive on or off. Tilt are nice but can be a pain to load up the sleds. Those sno pro brand look nice but you will be dragging your sleds off without reverse. Lightning makes a great enclosed trailer for sleds and are reasonably priced. I found a almost new car hauler for dirt cheap this fall. While it doesn’t have the front ramp door I have the dolly to off load them with that. Sorry to ramble but to big is something you will never say

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
GFY Kevin. My sleds have sat for years and fire right up a go right down the trail like new. On the side of trailers I had a triton prestige inline and while it was a great trailer the seals would always freeze up which sucked. As for the clam shell style I believe floe has the best ones on the market. Thinks to look for are do you have reverse? Do you have inside storage for the trailer? Some of the older style clam shells were fiberglass and don’t with stand the sun well. Triton makes a clamshell style but not sure how the seals are with freezing up. If you don’t have reverse I’d look at a 12’ v nose with pull out ramp to drive on or off. Tilt are nice but can be a pain to load up the sleds. Those sno pro brand look nice but you will be dragging your sleds off without reverse. Lightning makes a great enclosed trailer for sleds and are reasonably priced. I found a almost new car hauler for dirt cheap this fall. While it doesn’t have the front ramp door I have the dolly to off load them with that. Sorry to ramble but to big is something you will never say
So sensitive...

stihl livin

Do the Dallas
Local time
7:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
FA2380FA-9A06-4F04-9CBA-32F9D7926034.jpeg This is what I found this fall. Guy paid 11k in March then got divorced. I should feel guilty for what I gave him for it but I don’t. 24’ box 8.5 wide hidden dove tail 5200 axles rain block floor. Weighs under 3000 pounds

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Both sleds have reverse (well, 1 already does and the other will have it come Christmas.

The clamshells i am finding here are single hinge at the front and the entire ‘dog house’ flips up. Honestly i don’t know how far he plans to travel with it since one of the trail heads is less than 200yds from ghe front door of their house.
Awesome info, thank you!!

alleyyooper

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I bought a new Triton in 1994 alum, No they don't rust they corrode so wash them after driveing slush covered roads. the wireing. is just ran in the frane channals so vibration destroys the wireing.
Also Mine came with the wider tires 20 some thing or other. they were a royal pain kept falling off the rims and going flat. take them to several tire stores to be fixed so that didn't happen. Longest one lasted was agout 160 miles down the road. I bought a 12 volt tire inflator to air them uop along side the road the rest of the year.

Spring can and I removed the tires sanded the rims to bare metal and painted then with a 4 coat layer of Rustolem I had. remounted the tires and half filled them with McMasters tire sealer. No more trouble for 15 years.

My brother got tired of his fat tires and got a set of 12" ones for a boat trailer and he doesn't have a problem with them either.

Just my experince with my triton.
I have a Snow bird 24' V nose now with a front drive off ramp and a rear drive on ramp. Passanger side access door.
I don't think they make the snow bird any longer. It is thinn plastic covered stryfoam sides with reinforceing at the doors.

:D Al

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
+ 1 for Triton aluminum

If you run studs on your treads put something down over the decking before you try loading them the first time

the purpose built plastic lattice works good and so does an old junked low profile tread cut to fit and screwed to the deck

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Learn something new everyday. Of course, ain’t no sleds around here, but an interesting thread...

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Learn something new everyday. Of course, ain’t no sleds around here, but an interesting thread...

30 years ago my wife called USAA insurance to add our new “snow machines” to our policy

The lady was in the main offices in San Antonio

She was curious as to why people in Alaska needed machines to make snow...

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
30 years ago my wife called USAA insurance to add our new “snow machines” to our policy

The lady was in the main offices in San Antonio

She was curious as to why people in Alaska needed machines to make snow...
Good one...funny *s-wordt!