High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Super Tomahahawk repairs.

Mr_Leffe

OPE Member
Local time
1:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Hello All. I have an old Super Tomahawk. Serial # W826516. Model # is unreadable.
The original B/S 8 HP lost compression on a cold and Winter morning so I replaced it with a 321cc Predator.
Has been running fine but has started to make loud shrieking noises from the business end.

I don't think it is the belt as the belt is a tad too small and is constantly turning the blades but the idler needs to be engaged to cut.
Makes the same noise ticking over or full bore. I fear it's the outside bearing, could be both.
Have found some bearings @ Chalmers but we need the model # to pull the trigger on a sale. Could use some help identifying my beast.

Could also use some help with a procedure changing out both bearings. Do I have to take the engine off again to do this?

How large of a chore is it to change the Flails?
Thanks.. Steve.

legdelimber

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sorry but I've never had any dealings with one.
Is your unit in this manual?
http://www.brentchalmers.com/Manuals/1989Troy-BiltTomahawkChipperShredderOwnerOperatorManual.pdf
Bad bearings will make a nasty, dry squeal and may feel a bit loose or clunky.
If a light shot of oil in them makes things quiet, you've probably hit the trouble spot, be careful and try not to get oil on the belt.

Just some general procedure here (humble opinion is all):
If you're changing the main bearings for the flywheel, I'd personally want to replace the idler pulley or its bearing(s) while I had things apart and get the correct belt.
Should make it a bit easier to crank the engine if the belt isn't dragging the cutter.

http://www.brentchalmers.com/Manuals/1989Troy-BiltTomahawkChipperShredderOwnerOperatorManual.pdf
There are (reasonably clear looking even!) photos and instructions for accessing and maintaining the chipping section of machine.
Hope this helps you.
With a little luck, maybe we'll stir someone out that has some experience with your unit.

And let me offer a hello to a new member here.

Last edited:

Mr_Leffe

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome and the link to a manual. Checked out the manual and printed 5 pages that speak to me.
I think mine is an earlier model possibly an '82 as I see a few refinements. Like the discharge pointing so it spits one way and some holes to get at the flail rods.
Doesn't show or tell how to replace the bearings. I fear I have to take the engine off to pull the pulley to replace that end. Not that much of a deal as there are only four bolts holding it on.
I am going to try your suggestion about putting some oil on the bearing and see if it temporarily stops the sqeeeel.

legdelimber

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Edit: I forgot to mention checking the bearing retainers, set screws or any locking collars. just all fasteners and anything holding things together. A loose bearing can spin or slip on the shaft also.

Sorry that I'm not the best at remote analysis. I do better at things when I'm there and can lay hands on.
-
You might have to work the oil under a seal to get it into the bearings.
The idler pulley looks to be the most buried thing of the three bearing locations.
I forget to mention that you might use a piece of hose to listen f or where the noise is coming from.
The old trick of one end of the hose at your ear and then poke to hose around putting the end close to things and see when the noise seems to be loudest or obiously at that location.
Of course this will be with the chipper running.
Of course be super SUPER careful and think about where you put your hands and fingers....before doing so.
We don't need to loose any body parts or damage them!

Hopefully there's no serious corrosion or rust to have to fight when sliding things of the shafts.
IF something is stuck, use penetrating oil and some patience.
That urge we sometimes get to just whack it with a hammer:cursing:, can mushroom or bend things and make the problem worse.

I may be offline for a few days (family stuff).
But then I may not have any ideas that you haven't already figured out yourself.
Maybe someone smarter will chime in. :D

Last edited:

Mr_Leffe

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Well ... I tried the oil on the bearing. Stopped the noise at idle but when powered up started squeel and vibrate like never before.
Noise is definitely coming from the drum. Now unusable.
Going to take the engine off so I can almost handle it, turn it over and have a real look inside.
Knowing how to change the bearings would be a real help.

mhodder

New OPE Member
Local time
3:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
hello, I purchased a super tomahawk chipper model 47266... the idler pulls tension screw 1900195, had been replaced by a threaded rod.

I am wondering if anyone can share the specs for the tension screw. Length and thread (I think it is 1/4" thread... based on the lock nut 03207) and or any other aspects.

The problem I am having is, the belt tension is not correct, and the cluch lever keeps disengaging on its own.