av8or3

So many saw ... so little time...
GoldMember
Local time
5:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just broke the crank on a collectible saw trying to remove a flywheel that has cemented itself to the crank. I have had to deal with more than one of these along the way so I’m not inexperienced, I don’t believe myself to be inept, yet I’m losing the war. I’d be very interested in all of your ideas and experience in dealing with this dilemma. Thanks in advance, Jim

Squareground3691

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Are you using a puller ?Not sure what method your using Did you leave nut on crank try hitting the crank with a heavy brass hammer holding flywheel usually works I have had to beat them pretty good on stubborn ones , Some times applying heat helps to .

blackbruin

Heeeeeeere's Johnny!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Heat has always worked when they were a bugger for me. I've even heated it up and shot it with canned air for cleaning keyboards etc.. the heat and that pops the real stubborn ones off

av8or3

So many saw ... so little time...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks all, I bent a Stihl flywheel puller. Moved up to a really big puller using penetrating oil, got everything tightened up and struck it, hard. And that’s what did it. I forgot to reinstall the nut before I started pulling. Probably would have saved the crank. image.jpg
Right in front of me and everything I do. I feel like Homer Simpson duh..

Squareground3691

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks all, I bent a Stihl flywheel puller. Moved up to a really big puller using penetrating oil, got everything tightened up and struck it, hard. And that’s what did it. I forgot to reinstall the nut before I started pulling. Probably would have saved the crank. View attachment 339311
Right in front of me and everything I do. I feel like Homer Simpson duh..
Yea win some yea lose some live and learn

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
4:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Might just be that you saved the crank from breaking later when it was running and causing further damage as the metal could have been already fatigued. At least that's what you can tell yourself.
Three things I use to remove flywheels successfully, the proper puller, patience and an Estwing steel handle claw hammer. I don't mind boogering up the face of a puller bolt with a steel hammer(I can fix that), the vibration it creates is the trick in getting them to pop. A brass hammer just won't do the same as they land with a thud not a "ping".

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Picking saws out of the junkyard that may have sat outside for a few years definitely present a problem for removing stuck flywheels. Patience and pressure are my friends. I go to the auto parts store and start modifying pullers and hitting the crank with penetrating oil and heat. Sometimes I spray the pocket down and let it sit for a month till the level of penetrating oil changes or evaporates, covered by plastic bags . I give it a try and repeat if necessary
If the fuild doesn't get in to there its not going to happen. Time is the biggest advantage for me, if the part is irreplaceable I can wait.
It took me 2 years to get the throttle shafts working on a 1964 AFB Carter for a Pontiac once . The old Rochester 4 jets were really terrible but at least they were cast iron and could be heated very hot.
Sometimes I just set the puller on with tension and put it on a shelf for a week , check the torque and reset ,repeat.

sawfun

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've had a Homelite 990g and a Husky 2100 that nothing seemed to work on. Not heat, not vibration, not penetrant oil. I finally just gave up and sold them as project saws.

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've had a Homelite 990g and a Husky 2100 that nothing seemed to work on. Not heat, not vibration, not penetrant oil. I finally just gave up and sold them as project saws.
Understand what you are saying, but would rather break it, than give up. I know, waste of money, didn't say it was smart. Just can't give up.

Squareground3691

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Understand what you are saying, but would rather break it, than give up. I know, waste of money, didn't say it was smart. Just can't give up.
We’re there’s a will there’s always a way !!

Larry B

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
BFH. The answer is always the BFH.

I use an air hammer @ 175 psi. I let the saw hang loose and put the nut on slightly loose and just a few hits takes it off. Haven't had one that hasn't surrendered to the air hammer.

sawfun

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
BFH. The answer is always the BFH.

I use an air hammer @ 175 psi. I let the saw hang loose and put the nut on slightly loose and just a few hits takes it off. Haven't had one that hasn't surrendered to the air hammer.
Mine didn't as I tried that.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’d heat it If it is that stubborn I’d warm it up with a torch. Not melt just good and warm

cus_deluxe

terms of service violator
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ive had good luck with a modified two jaw puller and a brass hammer and a bit of patience. Tighten a bit, give it a whack, repeat. I try not to heat if i dont have to, dont wanna ruin pawl springs, also dont want to remove them if i dont have to haha

mettee

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just took apart a 6421 and whomever took it apart before had hit the crank so hard it peened over the nut. I had to grind the tip off and then I was lucky enough that ace had a die and I ran it over what was there.

48598.jpeg 48839.jpeg