Struggling 3-fo-six

Dolkitafreak

Dolkita686
Local time
8:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Been working on this 346 for a hot minute now, just for some reason isn't running the way I'd like. Whole build was inspired by a redhead I ran a year ago so I wanted to give it a go.

Saw had squish and base cut (.075") and I was seeing ~185psi at my elevation, I wanted more. I then had the chamber welded and its blowing 230 now, nifty. The Jred had 240, and finger ports. My numbers (I need to check my notes but I believe I remember correctly) are 101-118-82, I am not running fingers currently. My saw and the jred are running walbro 359 carbs. Similar muffler mods (big *a-hole out the front). Jreds numbers are similar to mine (I know numbers aren't everything, starting point though). My transfer roofs are flat both main and secondary, I feel I should have angled secondary more upwards.

Saw runs okay, but wouldn't hang with the jred I don't think. Someone told me they think compression may be holding it back, so I'm gonna stick another base gasket in and see what its like. Currently winds up to 14.4ish with a little four stroke. Square work chain in the video. Any helpful advice, questions, etc. is more than appreciated.

https://youtube.com/shorts/TbfcOS2dXSg?feature=share

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How far is the timing advanced? A little advance will help, but too much will definitely prevent higher RPMs

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Indeed, I'm not thrilled lol. I really figured with the exhaust that high it would spool higher. Just hasn't hit that magic feel yet.
Yes something is up with it. I would try a different coil. I’ve seen 17,000 out of a 104° exhaust

Dolkitafreak

Dolkita686
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes something is up with it. I would try a different coil. I’ve seen 17,000 out of a 104° exhaust
I can make it turn higher its just lean when doing it. Coldish I can make it hit 15.5, once it gets some heat in it then its lean. Someone asked if the carb was good, I may try another. I'm just discouraged at this point!

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think you have way too much intake duration such that you've killed your crankcase compression, especially with that short of blowdown I bet it's back flowing the transfers at higher RPM.

Dolkitafreak

Dolkita686
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think you have way too much intake duration such that you've killed your crankcase compression, especially with that short of blowdown I bet it's back flowing the transfers at higher RPM.
Raise to 75 maybe?

Dolkitafreak

Dolkita686
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I could absolutely see this being the case, uppers had to be raised quite a bit, and by the time I case matched and rounded the divider in the lowers, there is a whole lot of volume!

srcarr52

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Raise to 75 maybe?

You could epoxy the intake and get it back to 75-77 you'd be in better shape, you'll probably gain some RPM but probably not a lot of torque. It's also a lot more ex duration than I've ever ran in one. I've found that smaller bore saws like less duration all around, they just don't need that much time*area to fill/exhaust the small cylinder.

Dolkitafreak

Dolkita686
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You could epoxy the intake and get it back to 75-77 you'd be in better shape, you'll probably gain some RPM but probably not a lot of torque. It's also a lot more ex duration than I've ever ran in one. I've found that smaller bore saws like less duration all around, they just don't need that much time*area to fill/exhaust the small cylinder.
I would tend to agree, the saw I'm attempting to copy was just a mean sob. Normally on a 50cc motor I'm 104-105 and 78ish on intake.

Bjorn

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
02CAE9A9-D0FA-4D15-821F-AF49D603326E.jpeg Hello, Will crankstuffers help the crankcase compression, When running hi intake duration like 82 btdc.

srcarr52

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 302788 Hello, Will crankstuffers help the crankcase compression, When running hi intake duration like 82 btdc.

Yes! I had forgot that 550 crank stuffers will fit on a 346 crank with a little modification.

Dolkitafreak

Dolkita686
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think I'm fighting a few issues here, just figured I would share my thoughts.

1. Blowdown, with my exhaust as high as it is, I think the saw would benefit with more blowdown.
2. Transfer staggering, currently my uppers all have flat roofs and open at the same time, I think if my secondaries pointed upwards at the plug and opened 2-3 degrees later it would likely help.
3. Intake is low, but not sure if it is low enough to be causing me issues, my thinking was at high rpm you don't have much time to fill the case. Intake isn't wide, just low.

Thoughts, concerns, general comments of "you suck, get outta here"? all welcome and appreciated.

srcarr52

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think I'm fighting a few issues here, just figured I would share my thoughts.

1. Blowdown, with my exhaust as high as it is, I think the saw would benefit with more blowdown.
2. Transfer staggering, currently my uppers all have flat roofs and open at the same time, I think if my secondaries pointed upwards at the plug and opened 2-3 degrees later it would likely help.
3. Intake is low, but not sure if it is low enough to be causing me issues, my thinking was at high rpm you don't have much time to fill the case. Intake isn't wide, just low.

Thoughts, concerns, general comments of "you suck, get outta here"? all welcome and appreciated.

I agree with 1 and 2, 3 depends on the carb size.

Dolkitafreak

Dolkita686
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I haven't decided what to do, I'm not sure if this cylinder can be saved or if I should just toss it and start again.