av8or3

So many saw ... so little time...
GoldMember
Local time
2:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
About 150’ from my home. Anybody think it will survive? It would be a shame to lose it. I wondered if it could be felled safely now or will someone have to climb it to take it down.
https://youtube.com/shorts/HkALiBlAxj8?feature=share
Chunks of the tree were blown off. I picked this up about 50’ from the tree. Smaller pieces all around.
image.jpg

Catman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve seen plenty of trees struck by lightning in my days of tree work that survived, time will tell.

Larry B

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got an old growth oak in the yard that has been hit a couple of times in the last 22 years and it is still alive. Lots of dead branches fall out of the top of it. Wife's ancestors cleared the land. The oak is the last one left they didn't clear.

I saw a tree hit by lightning and the trunk turned red and exploded like something in a movie. It died

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
1:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
About 150’ from my home. Anybody think it will survive? It would be a shame to lose it. I wondered if it could be felled safely now or will someone have to climb it to take it down.
https://youtube.com/shorts/HkALiBlAxj8?feature=share
Chunks of the tree were blown off. I picked this up about 50’ from the tree. Smaller pieces all around.
View attachment 309344

My guess is that it will die. Is it safe to fell...I don't see why not, but let one of the pros address that question

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I looked at the video, that tree is on borrowed time and safe to drop.
The outer layer of the tree can store alot of food energy to push out leaves next year but that tree is way to compromised to leave standing and will die soon.