DucTruckin379

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
3:47 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know I've seen this somewhere before, but I can't seem to find it now...
My ms362 av springs and buffers are getting (and really always were) crazy soft. It honestly makes the saw hard to use. Isn't there a set of the springs and buffers that are stiffer than what they originally ship with?
Am I just dreaming this up?

Big_6

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:47 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Was the stiff set for the 500 saw?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

DucTruckin379

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Was the stiff set for the 500 saw?

I don't remember seeing that, but I don't know that I've looked since the 500 came out. Are they supposed to swap?

Big_6

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No news yet,
I'd just get Another 038M!

If the 462 kit works for your 362 you might be in luck.
AV is overrated!
[https://content]Models 462 The Faller's Suspension Kit is a heavy duty upgrade from the Stihl factory system. This kit gives the saw a much firmer feel during operation and is designed for those wanting to run a longer bar.
*NOTE: The 462 kit does not include the pictured spring as it's already included from the factory on that model. Thus, the lower price point.

Last edited:

DucTruckin379

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Maybe I was just dreaming...

I sent WCS an email asking about the 362, and whether or not the 462/500 kit might work on it. Got a "no" back, and I've dug up what part numbers I can find (don't have an IPL for either of those saws). Best I can tell it won't.

It looks like I could use an AM annular buffer from a 361, which appears to be made out of rubber instead of the white foam material. I think that would help with the forward and backward slop, and it looks like the AM stop buffers are made out of rubber as well.

Think I'm gonna order some and see...

DucTruckin379

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Haha! I had to look up at my previous posts, thinking surely I didn't call the bar a "blade"!

20" is all I run on mine as well. I looked up the part numbers for the springs and buffers on the LS engineers site (I had no idea, but with an account, you can look up parts by the drawings). It seems that the 400 and 362 share the same AV system exactly.

I'm guessing mine are just worn out. It's always been floppy, but it's ridiculous now. If I pick the saw up off the floor, the nose of the bar drops ~1.5" just from picking it up, and I can shake the nose back and forth maybe an inch or two as well, with just a little wiggle of the handle. I think the springs are probably the same as they always were, but the buffers don't hardly touch anything even at full flex now, it just kinda flops between them.

I thought about the RTV fix, seems like it would be relatively easy to try. I think I might order some new buffers and see where that puts me, and then maybe experiment from there.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
Haha! I had to look up at my previous posts, thinking surely I didn't call the bar a "blade"!

20" is all I run on mine as well. I looked up the part numbers for the springs and buffers on the LS engineers site (I had no idea, but with an account, you can look up parts by the drawings). It seems that the 400 and 362 share the same AV system exactly.

I'm guessing mine are just worn out. It's always been floppy, but it's ridiculous now. If I pick the saw up off the floor, the nose of the bar drops ~1.5" just from picking it up, and I can shake the nose back and forth maybe an inch or two as well, with just a little wiggle of the handle. I think the springs are probably the same as they always were, but the buffers don't hardly touch anything even at full flex now, it just kinda flops between them.

I thought about the RTV fix, seems like it would be relatively easy to try. I think I might order some new buffers and see where that puts me, and then maybe experiment from there.
Yeah sounds like they are shot. The springs are probably shot too.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Howdy Girls.

If any of you don't like AV that makes you feel like you're having a threesome with two fat chicks in a half ton truck this is the solution for a 362/400..it fits on a few others as well, you gotta trim the buffer that goes behind the coil..it's self explanatory.

Now when you turn the saw PTO side down it won't feel like you can use the bar for a diving board.
20230311_155707.jpg

Sawzilla sells these. Not only are they stiffer but they last longer than those foam pieces of *s-wordt.
Screenshot_20230310_170602_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230310_170615_Chrome.jpg

You're welcome.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I know I've seen this somewhere before, but I can't seem to find it now...
My ms362 av springs and buffers are getting (and really always were) crazy soft. It honestly makes the saw hard to use. Isn't there a set of the springs and buffers that are stiffer than what they originally ship with?
Am I just dreaming this up?

The buffers are your best bet.

DucTruckin379

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Awesome, these were the ones I thought about trying! Unfortunately I never did. Glad to hear firsthand that they tighten the saw up! Now to order a set...