High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Stihl usg

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
11:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Just got a Stihl USG what are good angles to start with. Paid $40au for it.
First of all whatever 40au translates into for USD it sounds like you stole it.
I'll just ad that there are lots of variables to consider and more to "play with" in your particular version of Aussie concrete/hardwood y'all cut. Most people will tell ya 60/30/10-0 or some such thereof ...but those are 511ax numbers or whatever the tecomec brand/style is and NOT USG numbers. I have a HOS and whatever fixed #s those are work awesome for me. Also the profile on the wheel can change things too. Ya got a lot of fun ahead of ya. So my advice is to start somewhere...like a new chain or one that does well in your situation previously and try to replicate then improve on that. I have some "dull" chains that barely cut oak but slit the crap outta soft maple.
Next lesson is rakers.
Good luck with the new grinder. What was your preferred sharpening method before ?

species8472

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
First of all whatever 40au translates into for USD it sounds like you stole it.
I'll just ad that there are lots of variables to consider and more to "play with" in your particular version of Aussie concrete/hardwood y'all cut. Most people will tell ya 60/30/10-0 or some such thereof ...but those are 511ax numbers or whatever the tecomec brand/style is and NOT USG numbers. I have a HOS and whatever fixed #s those are work awesome for me. Also the profile on the wheel can change things too. Ya got a lot of fun ahead of ya. So my advice is to start somewhere...like a new chain or one that does well in your situation previously and try to replicate then improve on that. I have some "dull" chains that barely cut oak but slit the crap outta soft maple.
Next lesson is rakers.
Good luck with the new grinder. What was your preferred sharpening method before ?
I have a 511 knock off at 60/25/0 works well for my wood cutting

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
4:03 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I too have 511 copy, it sure does a good job of tidying up my filing, I usualy tidy up after rocking or about 10-15 hand filings then follow the chain manafactures angles 30 stihl, 25 Oregon and 35 Carlton and of course 10* for rippin, althou I found the tilt of 10* works well even on stihl chains. Seems to self feed better.

Edit: that other angle 60 or what ever the table says that came with it, I think 75* was for rippin Iirc.

Carhartt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
USG has a different arbor size and cutter head tilts opposite of Tecomec/Oregon. Stihl grinding wheels have worked fine for me. I made an arbor attachment/enlarger so I can use the other wheels, just because I have a few.
Had an HOS also at 1 time and wish I still kept that 1 also. I have a Jollystar that I use just for rakers. In my opinion the Stihl grinders are better sharpeners.

Cut4fun

Redneck Chainsaw Repair
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
10:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There is a spacer sold to use the bigger holed wheels too.
What are the dimensions of the STIHL wheels compared to the Silvey wheels?

Who sells the spacer?

Thanks.

Philbert

Cut4fun

Redneck Chainsaw Repair
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thought it was in the thread I linked.

Madsen's sells the spacer or make your own. They also sell the wheels to go with the spacer as I have many of them too.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
10:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thought it was in the thread I linked.
You liked a lot of stuff. And each of those links has links!

So, a Silvery grinder wheel has a 1" arbor hole; an Oregon 511A type grinder wheel has a 7/8" arbor hole; and a STIHL grinder wheel has a 12mm arbor hole? Is that correct?

Thanks.

Philbert

Carhartt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I made my arbor spacer from aluminum stock. Turned OD to 7/8th and ID to 12mm and cut off to thickness. Thickness doesn't have to be perfect because USG has a larger washer that clamps wheel.

Cut4fun

Redneck Chainsaw Repair
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
This might be the one at madsens I got.
Reusable 1" to 1/2" Wheel Arbor Adapter reg 5.50 sell 2.95

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have had great results with the “Stihl factory” numbers....

You will probably have to play with angles to get the optimal performance....

I had a company off of eBay send me spacers, so I can run my CBN wheels for my Oregon 520 on the USG....saved me a lot of money!!!

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know you said you have an Oregon too, so you may know this, but what Stihl calls 40-degrees IS NOT the same as Oregon’s 40-degree....