High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Michael Kamrud

New OPE Member
Local time
5:38 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I bought a Stihl TS 420 (2014 model) from a guy that said it only needs a new ignition coil. When I opened it to inspect, yep, he was right. In fact, the ignition coil was missing. Ordered a new ignition coil and although it is aftermarket, the supplier tells me that it is the correct one. My problem came when I tried to hook it up. The cutoff saw has a blue and brown wire coming from the kill switch, both with flat crimp terminals like they should connect to a male end. The coil comes with a ground wire with ring terminals on both ends and one red cable connected to the only male crimp terminal on the coil.
I have to believe that either the brown or blue wire is a ground and the other should go to the sole male terminal on the coil. That way when the kill switch is activated it will ground the coil and "kill" it. First question is which is which? Is it the blue or the brown that is the ground? I guess, technically if the kill switch just connects them, it shouldn't matter but I just want to make sure it is installed correctly.
Second question is about the ground wire that came with it. If I connect the either the blue or brown to the ground, do I still need the ground wire that came with the coil? If I do, do you know where they should be connected. I assume the one is under the bolt that holds down the coil and I am guessing that the other goes under the decompression valve?????? not sure on that one.

Just a thought: I have read many forums about Stihl cutoff saws and I did find that there was a three bolt coil on older TS 400 and 460's but I did not find any evidence that there was a three bolt on the ts 420.

Thanks in advanced!!!!!!!

Coil.jpg kill switch.jpg

nohoff

professional flusher
Local time
11:38 AM
User ID
Reaction score
normally you have a metal plate on one screw for the coil with a plug terminal for one cable
Both cable have the same plug so it doenst matter which one will be connected to the coil and which to the ground
Screenshot (67).png
Screenshot (68).png

Last edited: