High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Stihl semi chisel more durable than Oregon?

blades

Super OPE Member
Local time
3:21 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In general Stilh chain is a little better only because true stilh chain has a thicker coating of chrome on the teeth. I do not know for sure but had a customer come in with some chains, looked like Stilh marked like stilh only giveaway was the dimples on the drive links were not consitant like stilh's and the purchase price new was apx 1/2 the going rate for stilh- some type of knock off or mfg has been switched to somewhere else. jury still out on how they run will know in a couple weeks

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
1:21 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In general Stilh chain is a little better only because true stilh chain has a thicker coating of chrome on the teeth. I do not know for sure but had a customer come in with some chains, looked like Stilh marked like stilh only giveaway was the dimples on the drive links were not consitant like stilh's and the purchase price new was apx 1/2 the going rate for stilh- some type of knock off or mfg has been switched to somewhere else. jury still out on how they run will know in a couple weeks
That Oregon duracut/multi cut is supposed to be triple plated…

blades

Super OPE Member
Local time
3:21 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i ran winsdor chain and bars for years ( no problems) until oregon bought them and discontinued same . then ran carlton ( they were ok also)-oregon bought them also and quality seems to have slipped. been running forester chain they strech too much ( 3/8-.050) so switching to 3/8 in .058 and .063 to see hows things work out. Stilh is too pricey for me plus I buy bulk rolls. Don't have a good source for husky and have not run theirs.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i ran winsdor chain and bars for years ( no problems) until oregon bought them and discontinued same . then ran carlton ( they were ok also)-oregon bought them also and quality seems to have slipped. been running forester chain they strech too much ( 3/8-.050) so switching to 3/8 in .058 and .063 to see hows things work out. Stilh is too pricey for me plus I buy bulk rolls. Don't have a good source for husky and have not run theirs.
For cutting this nasty hard dirty stuff, my experience thus far says the stihl would be worth it.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
4:21 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes stihl semi is more durable. Maybe not extremely more so. But it does hold an edge better. I’ve got a few loops of 32” for stumps

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
it has been my experience that stihl chains are a little harder than the oregon chains. on my square grinder it is really easy to burn the cutters on stihl chain. i have tried different wheels to try and compensate for that. i just have to grimd them slower and keep them cooler than the other chains. they do seem to stay sharp longer if the wood is clean and they havent been over heated while sharpening