High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Stihl MS 461 Rev limiting

Fitz

OPE Member
Local time
7:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Does anyone know or have advice on a device or way to limit the 461's full throttle RPM via the throttle vs the Rev limiter?

For example: for brushing, it would be nice to have the saw max out its RPMS around 9500-10000 instead of hitting the rev limiter constantly.

Michpatriot

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I went a little different way on the same problem..Man I like my 461s without the limited coil..that's where unlimited really shines when limbing. Ill never go back to limited. Give my high speed adjustment knob a twist and run it at 14k for limbing then give the knob a twist back and buck with it four strokin nice.16390921560932495786857832914904.jpg

Last edited:

Fitz

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the advice. Michpatriot, that's a solid setup. I think I'm going to give that route a shot. I might also somehow add/rig-up a limiting screw for the butterfly valve. I know it sounds trivial, but at times we are running our saws screaming for hours at max RPM just cutting brush. I want to experiment with a saw that is tuned for best performance on the H but limit the max RPM on the fly. That way I can make quick changes going from brush to timber. This is all just for testing purposes. Thanks again for the help.

Michpatriot

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So if your interested shoot me a pm..using one of my kits makes it pretty easy to set the upper rpm on the fly. The kit is $25 and is pretty straightforward, and if you decide to get a coil there's at least two different ones that are available unlimited, one being from a 460, once your unlimited the high speed tune is easy to hear.

Last edited:

Fitz

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
So if your interested shoot me a pm..using one of my kits makes it pretty easy to set the upper rpm on the fly. The kit is $25 and is pretty straightforward, and if you decide to get a coil there's at least two different ones that are available unlimited, one being from a 460, once your unlimited the high speed tune is easy to hear.
Thanks, I sent you a pm....

Fitz

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Just don’t pull the trigger as far
I know that sounds like an easy solution and is what I do at times, but I'm trying to test a more efficient solution to feathering the throttle for hours on end. Again, just for testing purposes to see if I can increase production, longevity, and fuel cycles.

Michpatriot

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Since you have a saw that I have I went ahead and assembled it to the right length, tried it in my 461 and you should be good to just pop it in and go..

Michpatriot

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think your gonna really like it..I grew up flying model airplanes so I got used to tuning with a high speed knob by ear..later in life running saws I pondered the idea for a long time, every time I needed to adjust..fiddling with a screwdriver, I really like to have my saw tune perfect for the task at hand and the task is constantly changing. So a few months back I finally started with a few prototypes and after a couple revisions and a lot of use to prove it works, I finally have a easy to install solution. I know they ain't cheap but the knob and shaft had to be adjustable for different saws so this is what it ended up being..Ill say this after running a saw with a knob Ill never go back.. When you first install the knob spit on the shaft where the shrink tube is covering the threads to lube it so it goes in the rubber hole easier. When I test fit yours in my saw it went in perfect, but mine has had one in it for months and the rubber relaxed a tiny bit, when I first put it in it was tight the first time..
Happy cutting
Joel