High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Stihl ms 261 m-tronic

Stihl John

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
5:53 PM
User ID
Reaction score
My dad bought a 261 c several years ago. He has been complaining it takes too many pulls to start it hot or cold. I brought it home tonight but have not worked on an m-tronic before. He did not know where his owners manuel was so how do you reset the 261. I want to do that and look for any air leaks in the fuel line. Thanks for any advise and I will be gone most of the week so if I do not respond it is because i'm not home and haven't worked on it.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
4:53 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Likely the calibration is the same as my MS661 C service manual presents:

(1) Remove saw chain and guide bar and refit the sprocket cover.
(2) Start engine without touching throttle trigger. Move Master Control lever to start position.
(3) Allow engine to run 60 seconds in start position.
(4) Move Master Control lever to Stop without operating throttle trigger.

Apparently the control unit is adapted to the carb during the run in the start position and an immediate engine shutdown is needed for the info. to be saved in the control unit.

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
2:53 PM
User ID
Reaction score
It wouldn't be a bad idea to start with removing the carb to inspect the diaphragm. After several years it's likely you'll need a new kit. Once that diaphragm starts getting a little stiff over time the lever ends up needing enough extra force to cause hard starting.
I forgt to mention the spark screen or air filter may be adding to the trouble.

Last edited:

Cobby08

I’m a face down ass up guy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Likely the calibration is the same as my MS661 C service manual presents:

(1) Remove saw chain and guide bar and refit the sprocket cover.
(2) Start engine without touching throttle trigger. Move Master Control lever to start position.
(3) Allow engine to run 60 seconds in start position.
(4) Move Master Control lever to Stop without operating throttle trigger.

Apparently the control unit is adapted to the carb during the run in the start position and an immediate engine shutdown is needed for the info. to be saved in the control unit.

Then slide to run position and let run for 60 seconds...

Then shut off

Then 5 consecutive cuts and shut off.

If it's a few years old if that doesn't fix it might not be a bad idea to replace the solenoid. Sometimes stuff (hey look I didn't swear) will get in the solenoid and not let it seat right. Maybe we can try to get @Mastermind to make a sticky on the reset.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Then slide to run position and let run for 60 seconds...

Then shut off

Then 5 consecutive cuts and shut off.

If it's a few years old if that doesn't fix it might not be a bad idea to replace the solenoid. Sometimes stuff (hey look I didn't swear) will get in the solenoid and not let it seat right. Maybe we can try to get @Mastermind to make a sticky on the reset.

Maybe. When y'all get it right. Lol

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This all seems too technical for me and that includes the Stihl instructions that I posted from the service manual. They need to simplify. That's what my algebra teacher taught me years ago about fractions. I cannot imagine buyers of M-Tronics putting up with all this when all they are trying to do is run a chainsaw to drop tees and cut logs. Just MHO.

bikemike

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
It wouldn't be a bad idea to start with removing the carb to inspect the diaphragm. After several years it's likely you'll need a new kit. Once that diaphragm starts getting a little stiff over time the lever ends up needing enough extra force to cause hard starting.
I forgt to mention the spark screen or air filter may be adding to the trouble.
Very true and never know what gas was used in it. It's the guys the rely on there saws everyday that pay attention to good fuel vs fuel that works for a bit

Stihl John

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I finally got a chance to look at the 261. It started for me cold with 5 pulls and once warm 1 pull. Seemed normal to me. I think my Dad is just getting older and not pulling it as fast a he used to. I spent some much meeded time on his chain and bar. kinda sad seeing how he is getting older. Chain was a mess and the bar needed some rail dressing. He just doesn't tools like he used to.