Stihl fg2 sharpener

dahmer

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anybody have experience with one of these? I bought from a member awhile back and just got around to using it today. Nothing but a nightmare. I can’t get any cutters to measure the same length. I filed 6 cutters and got 6 different lengths. Started from scratch and filed 6 cutters, 6 different lengths. Ready to junk it. Much better results with a roller guide or the grinder.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
7:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ll cover shipping and scrap it out for you.

Seriously, I will take a look and see if I have a PDF of the manual, which should help.

Philbert

dahmer

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve gone thru the manual 3 times. Right now I’m tired and P.O.’d so I’ll try another day. What I have found out is that every adjustment screw has a knurled head for tightening but after every cutter every screw is loose. I don’t like doing it but I snugged them up with channel locks and for the cutter stop I’ll have to get a couple metric nuts and double nut it once it’s set.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
*EDIT - our messages crossed*

See if this helps. Pages 19 to 21.

When using a Granberg style (clamp 0n) guide, I rarely use the cutter length stop; I am usually starting with a chain that was 'evened up' on a grinder, and just touching up the edges, so equal numbers of strokes, with equal pressure, tends to produce a sharp, uniform chain.

If you are starting with a chain that is less uniform, you will need to follow the 'master cutter' stuff, and the 2 settings:
- first to position the file for the height and profile you want;
- then to position the backstop / positioning dog (#4 on page 21) for the cutter length.

Then file until the 'stop bar' (item #6 on page 21) touches the 'stop roller' (item #5).

Philbert

Attachments

• STIHL FG2 Manual.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 5

dahmer

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ll cover shipping and scrap it out for you.

Seriously, I will take a look and see if I have a PDF of the manual, which should help.

Philbert
Probably won’t have time for it until next week. If it gets on my nerves much more I’ll probably send you an offer. Getting too old for aggravation.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have sold around 20 to 25 of them over the years and never had anyone contact me with issues. I do not even have one for myself anymore so not much I can check on one to compare.

dahmer

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have sold around 20 to 25 of them over the years and never had anyone contact me with issues. I do not even have one for myself anymore so not much I can check on one to compare.
Once the cutter stop is set you should be done but on this one the stop doesn’t seem to make solid contact with the rear of the cutter. When you pull the cutter against the stop it wants to pull past the cutter and when you throw the lock lever it wants to pass the stop. I’ll keep playing with it.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
2:26 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The Stihl FG2 can still be had in Europe, but for the price they are asking I can get a grinder for the odd loops and keep using the Archer FastFiler roller guides that I like very much.

The FG2 looks interesting, but I generally do not take dull chains of the saw.
I take another saw with a sharp chain to continue cutting and then file the dull chains being mounted to the saws.
This also spreads the workload over multiple saws instead of wearing out one, and each saw gets some action every now and then.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
2:26 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Once the cutter stop is set you should be done but on this one the stop doesn’t seem to make solid contact with the rear of the cutter. When you pull the cutter against the stop it wants to pull past the cutter and when you throw the lock lever it wants to pass the stop. I’ll keep playing with it.
I don't own one of these, but I have seen pictures and videos on them.
It almost sounds as if You are missing some piece, or a part is worn out severely!?

In the videos I watched the FG2 looked very rigid and firm.

I am still itching to get one, but the price tag is throwing me off.

sundance

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've had an FG2 for a few years. Don't use it a lot as I usually use the Granberg while on the bar. That said, on occasion I'll have several chains that need sharpening and the FG2 is a real help as compared to remounting each chain.
I'll group the chains by size (3/8, .325, 3/8LP) then do one side of each, re-configure and do all the other sides. A real time saver.
I claim no particular expertise, don't pay a ton of attention to individual cutter lengths. Sharpen each cutter till it looks good and move on. My chains seem to cut pretty good.
I'll agree it's pricey but I'm happy with the purchase. Probably one of those BillG sold.