r7000

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
8:10 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
have a Stihl BR600 backpack blower.

have a leak of fuel... looks like leaking between where the crankcase cover and cylinder mate and is rtv'd, engine performance is just starting to be affected.

hardest part is disassembling everything, and pulling flywheel, to re-rtv the two haves...

how likely is it the crankshaft seals need replacing? I haven't pulled it apart yet, tried to make sure I could get crank seals first if I need them and it sounded like around $22 a piece, which I'm not happy to hear.

Figuring 95% of the work is undoing all the plastic, going that far in it would be smart to also replace two simple (but not inexpensive) crank seals. Should I worry about the crank seals? Is there a way to check to observe visually evidence a crank seal needs replacing?

Stevetheboatguy

mountain dew and ibuprofen please
Local time
7:10 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd definitely replace the seals. But as far as obvious a pressure and vac test would help. Not sure how effective or applicable to a four mix it would be. A place to start anyway.

Steven

r7000

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
8:10 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
sheared the stupid key on the flywheel trying to get the plastic blower impeller wheel off.

if I had watched you tube first that would've been prevented, seems like everyone does that, and that BR 500/600 often leaks from the crank rtv seal and needs resealing.

used my old 7.3L pressure gauge glow plug fitting as a make shift piston stop, got the blower wheel off which is also counterclockwise to take off.

got the case resealed, resused the existing seals there was no evidence they were leaking and with them being $17 each i stuck with the old seals.