Stihl BR320 Blower will not start

Whizbang

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
6:59 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I need some feedback.
I picked up a used BR320 Stihl blower that was deemed not running because the pull start, while had tension from the spring, wouldn't turn the engine. I am pretty good with small engines so I started to take it apart and quickly found the nut on the starter sprocket was thread-less. Figure this happened because once I put on a new nut it was VERY hard to pull, could hear a grinding noise, though the cylinder and piston look good from the carb and exhaust ports. I found I was creating aluminum shavings due to the ignition coil being too close flywheel. I made the slight adjustment so that there was no interference, confirmed I still had spark then re assembled and tried to start. I get nothing, it will not fire. I am using freshly mixed gas.

The pull is good now, no more grinding noise. But there is a significant tone change when I pull to start with choke versus no choke, is this normal for something without a primer?

I checked the cylinder compression and I only hit about 90 psi and depending if the choke is on I can hear a slight hiss like there is air leaking from the exhaust. While I know 90 psi is a bit low for compression for this particular machine based on things I have read, but I would expect to at least get the occasional firing. I have never had a small engine not at least fire with fuel, spark and at least 60 psi. I tried a new spark plug with a more significant spark and still nothing.

Any ideas what is going on? Because I am baffled.

DuratecMan10

GFY! I'll never be straight !!!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I own a BR-420 which is the step model up of your machine but pretty much the same internals.

I had the same issue, very hard to start, sluggish performance, the whole thing. Thought I mixed my gas wrong, nope. Spark plug, nope. I took it apart, piston was fine ect. Turned out it was the muffler and the carbeurator. I replaced the carb, tuned it with the 2 hi/lo screws on the side and replaced the muffler and voila. Took a bit of time tuning it and still takes about 3 to 4 pulls before it fires up but once running it'll blow. These are very finicky machines. I hope that helps you out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whizbang

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I haven't done much with muffler but have had the carb in my ultrasonic cleaner. I will play some more and report back.