High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys Hockfire Saws

Stihl Arctic carb heater issues

Joeylethbridge

OPE Member
Local time
6:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Stihl Ms 440 arctic , replaced impulse line , intake boot , fuel line and diaphragms.

When I put the saw back together and fired it up without the carb cover or air filter on( snugged the nuts down on the cover plate over the heater element) I noticed the element got very hot and smoked right away as soon as the saw revved ( within 3-4 seconds ) . Curious as to why this would be . Any help is appreciated!

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Stihl Ms 440 arctic , replaced impulse line , intake boot , fuel line and diaphragms.

When I put the saw back together and fired it up without the carb cover or air filter on( snugged the nuts down on the cover plate over the heater element) I noticed the element got very hot and smoked right away as soon as the saw revved ( within 3-4 seconds ) . Curious as to why this would be . Any help is appreciated!
Sounds like a short , possibly a break in the insulation of the wire.

Joeylethbridge

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
What’s the best way of testing the switch
( thermostat) ? Checking for continuity or lack there of across the leads ?

Joeylethbridge

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I tested the heating element per the manual and it checked out , I wonder it smoked due to having oil and gas on it from laying on the work bench ? I’ll put it back on the saw this week and try it again. Thanks for the help ! The manual is a score !