Stihl 490

ermmauriko

New OPE Member
Local time
6:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a stihl 490 and could spare parts from stihl 460. My question is if i can somehow get the handle warmers from 460 to work on 490?what should i swap if it is doable

DND 9000

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don`t think it is possible. Both machines belong to different series and only the version with the heated handles will have the mounting holes for the generator on the cranckcase. I bet there are other differences too.

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
4:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would take look at the ipl's for both saws.? And try to compare the parts

The front handle would need to be donated ( as you won’t get the wire away easily from the sleeve), the flywheel has a magneto in side which you won’t get off . So the fly wheel would need to be swapped the magneto pick-up coil should fit ? . the rear handle is just a butterfly sticky thing that maybe able to peel off. the rest is just wiring and there is the on off switch. Which all the saws i know/seen have the markings where it would go if it was fitted

I’ve edited this about 10ish mins after posting.

I think there maybe typos/ autocorrect in the op. Hopefully the op can confirm and even better post pics of both saws.

Last edited:

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
10:45 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Can you post a picture of the saw?

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
390 perhaps ?
Good possibility. I looked at the website of what is claimed to be the largest Stihl dealer in Ireland and did not see anything. I thought maybe Stihl had some oddball models over there but there was nothing.

hacskaroly

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:45 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My question is if i can somehow get the handle warmers from 460 to work on 490?what should i swap if it is doable
I am not sure about Stihl saws, but with my Husqvarna 272xpg, it has a generator that mounts under the flywheel that powers the heated handles. Wire leads go into the front handle bar and then to the rear handle bar and then terminates at a switch. Here are a few diagrams that may help show potentially what you would be looking for in an IPL for your saw (these are for the Husqvarna 272xpg):

Husq 272 xpg diagram.png
Husq 272 xpg diagram 2.png

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have tried for several years to find some NOS Husky 395's with heated handles. I have struck out totally. The parts are available but drilling and tapping the holes in the crankcase is an issue.

ermmauriko

New OPE Member
Local time
6:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would take look at the ipl's for both saws.? And try to compare the parts

The front handle would need to be donated ( as you won’t get the wire away easily from the sleeve), the flywheel has a magneto in side which you won’t get off . So the fly wheel would need to be swapped the magneto pick-up coil should fit ? . the rear handle is just a butterfly sticky thing that maybe able to peel off. the rest is just wiring and there is the on off switch. Which all the saws i know/seen have the markings where it would go if it was fitted

I’ve edited this about 10ish mins after posting.

I think there maybe typos/ autocorrect in the op. Hopefully the op can confirm and even better post pics of both saws.
Sorry i did mean trimmers. Apologies upfront. Thank you. We will look into it.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sorry i did mean trimmers. Apologies upfront. Thank you. We will look into it.
Heated handles on a trimmer............kinda like an elevator in an outhouse.

HumBurner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:45 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Heated handles on a trimmer............kinda like an elevator in an outhouse.
My lady has a neurological disorder which manifests itself, among other ways, with one or both of her hands being ice-cold to the touch. It's weird when one hand is warm and the other freezing.

I could see the desire in very rare instances where someone might want heated handles on a tool that might seem odd at first

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My lady has a neurological disorder which manifests itself, among other ways, with one or both of her hands being ice-cold to the touch. It's weird when one hand is warm and the other freezing.

I could see the desire in very rare instances where someone might want heated handles on a tool that might seem odd at first
Never seen a trimmer with heated handles but hell I have never seen Bigfoot either