Stihl 462c carb/coil conversion?

Rich Fife

Sally slap my ass
Local time
11:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In short, I'd like to find some info to convert the 462c to a standard coil/carb... OR... be able to modify the existing to operate as a standard saw. I have a few questions...

Can the m-tronic carb be modified to operate without the signal from the coil?
I honestly haven't tore into the carb to see whats what, how it works, etc. I Might be later after my workout If its not too late.. 🫣☺️

I see there are different flywheel part numbers as well... I'm wondering what the differences are between those... I'm assuming dimensionally they can't be different, if they are, it can't be by much... but, 🤷‍♂️. Maybe the magnets are the main difference???

As for the coil, I'm going to assume stihl designed it specifically to be used with this carb, signals etc... hoping I'm wrong and can bypass and use it. But, if I cant... does anyone know of a coil that could be swap from another saw?

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I still want to see the pictures of the 461 crank that you fitted into a 462

The answers to the questions that you are asking are easily answered, matter of fact, it’s already been done

Rich Fife

Sally slap my ass
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The answers to the questions that you are asking are easily answered, matter of fact, it’s already been done
i know guys have purchased parts from various places to make the convesion possible....but, im not looking to buy the different oem part numbers... (unless I have to).
I'm more or less wondering if it is possible to modify what currently exists... and/or find parts from another saw that isnt m-tronic that'll work.

Rich Fife

Sally slap my ass
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sneak peak... which you won't be satisfied with. But, if you zoom in... you'll see the scribed line... that line represents if you don't remove material from the crank. Which I felt was too thin. Hence why I removed material from the crank and a little from the case.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230321_095541_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230321_095541_Gallery.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 35

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
10:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

The 462 can be done the same way the 661 is done I'd imagine.

Rich Fife

Sally slap my ass
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Over the years everything has been done. To search, use the terms you want to learn about, plus opeforum.com on Google.
I get that... but, I haven't found too much if anything on modifying the existing parts to work as they weren't designed.

Rich Fife

Sally slap my ass
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You will need a different carb.
Hmmm. That sucks... well, in the Navy we used to say "if you're not f'n sh!t up, you're not learning" guess I'll have to dive into this carb and see how bad I can 'f' it up.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If it’s like the 661, you can leave the solenoid attached to the mtron wiring harness and tape it up inside the carburetor box, and use the carburetor from a regular 462.

Or like Randy said, remove the fuel solenoid, and do some JB welding, drilling and tapping, and make some jets for it. I haven’t looked into it, but it’s probably possible.

Rich Fife

Sally slap my ass
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If it’s like the 661, you can leave the solenoid attached to the mtron wiring harness and tape it up inside the carburetor box, and use the carburetor from a regular 462.

Or like Randy said, remove the fuel solenoid, and do some JB welding, drilling and tapping, and make some jets for it. I haven’t looked into it, but it’s probably possible.
I was thinking it has to be. Probably not the easiest or most effective, but... it's gotta be doable... where there is will, there is a way... or just smashed parts. Lmfao

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was thinking it has to be. Probably not the easiest or most effective, but... it's gotta be doable... where there is will, there is a way... or just smashed parts. Lmfao
Nothing hard about it. Especially now with both models being made. You may have to change out the master control lever to get it to hit the choke linkage properly.

Rich Fife

Sally slap my ass
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nothing hard about it. Especially now with both models being made. You may have to change out the master control lever to get it to hit the choke linkage properly.
Ok. I'll tinker with it... snap some pics post my findings etc.

Rich Fife

Sally slap my ass
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thank You. I see they changed the coil, carb and flywheel... I'm stubborn and do things the hard way. I always try to find a way when others say it can't be done... lol. I fail often. 😂

EAK044

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
10:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thank You. I see they changed the coil, carb and flywheel... I'm stubborn and do things the hard way. I always try to find a way when others say it can't be done... lol. I fail often. 😂
Doesn’t hurt to try new things. What’s your reasoning for wanting to do the conversion?

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
anyone track down a parts list for this?
@Redbull661 @tree monkey
It’s expensive to the point that it’s not worth it unless you have a good source for used parts. To buy everything needed to change it over properly is in the 400– $500 range