Stihl 066

JT78

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So my buddy that runs a tree service just brought me an old 066 in decent shape. He bought it at a flea market for 60 dollars and wants me to clean it up and get it into running shape. So I'm surprised this thing actually runs but it's gonna need a piston and rings a cylinder hone, a clutch cover, a filter and filter cover, seals, and a carb rebuild. I'm a little jealous right now that I don't find deals like this. SMH. So I'm trying to figure out what I should charge him for labor? I work on my own saws all the time but don't do it for others on a regular basis. I don't want to rob him as he is a friend but I also don't want to work for free.

Paul Fithian

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
4:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You'll have at least 3 hours of bench time in it. ~$150 plus parts?

Maybe discount $25 if he cleans it before you get it?

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
5:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So my buddy that runs a tree service just brought me an old 066 in decent shape. He bought it at a flea market for 60 dollars and wants me to clean it up and get it into running shape. So I'm surprised this thing actually runs but it's gonna need a piston and rings a cylinder hone, a clutch cover, a filter and filter cover, seals, and a carb rebuild. I'm a little jealous right now that I don't find deals like this. SMH. So I'm trying to figure out what I should charge him for labor? I work on my own saws all the time but don't do it for others on a regular basis. I don't want to rob him as he is a friend but I also don't want to work for free.
My stihl dealer is at 100.00 per hour
I charge 50.00 per hour until I'm
Enraged by the likes of poulans or husqvarna 235/240 clamshells
then I make them come and get them.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My stihl dealer is at 100.00 per hour
I charge 50.00 per hour until I'm
Enraged by the likes of poulans or husqvarna 235/240 clamshells
then I make them come and get them.
I have often thought that when Stihl dealers jacked up the price of their repair labor that they were simply helping the sales of their new saws. There was then no incentive for an owner of an older saw to spend that kind of money to repair a saw that no longer ran. Might as well just buy a new one and throw the older one away.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
2:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have often thought that when Stihl dealers jacked up the price of their repair labor that they were simply helping the sales of their new saws. There was then no incentive for an owner of an older saw to spend that kind of money to repair a saw that no longer ran. Might as well just buy a new one and throw the older one away.
Dealers make a lot more on service than they do sales. This is especially true with the major brands. Some of the lower-tier dealers make as little as 4-5% on the sale of a brand new unit. The two dealerships I worked at were Tier 3 Stihl dealers at the time. We made probably 6-7% on new units. We actually made more on consumer-grade units than Pro models.

I think most dealers price service based on the local market, types of customers they see the most of, and the types of units that comprise the majority of their service work. I do think that many dealers discourage the servicing of older units if they think they won't be able to stand behind them.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I completely restored a burned out Stihl 500i two years ago. I bought the parts and added in $150 for labor. That total bill was less than one-third the price of a new 500i. The owner thought it was a bargain because a new 500i would have cost him three times that much and the dealer would not touch it for less than $800 up front. The saw's owner uses the saw today and loves the way it starts and runs.