Adamski

Plebus Splederns
Local time
7:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good morning fellas,

I have just traded a 2018 365 w/ transfers ground out for this 064 below with enough cash left over to buy a new Stihl 36” bar, granberg chain and Stihl RS chain. Plus a new 20” ES bar and RS chain. Plus a bit left over for some new parts. Happy days for me. I figure I can always get another 365 but this 064 was owned by a good friend and has been well looked after, everything on it is OEM. It’s blowing 150 psi atm.

I’m preparing for a full strip down to the bearings a full repaint and then to attempt my first proper port job catered to milling, this is where you guys will have to help me with what is beat for this saw. I don’t want a rocket, I just want to give it a little extra whilst keeping its robustness. It’s got a fairly new old stock oem dual port muffler too from what I can tell.

IMG_7839.jpg

IMG_7840.jpg

Sent from Adam’s iPhone

Adamski

Plebus Splederns
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice saw. Been wanting to build an 064 myself. I'd powder it if I were you. Get someone to media blast it for you if you don't have a blaster.

Yep, powder route it is, I’ve got the codes after a lot of hunting. I feel I will be offloading the 660 for this when it’s done. And passing my 361 on to someone else. I feel I shall be sporting just a 545 & 064 combo for a while.

It does sound nice the 064, totally different to the likes of the 281/8 husky’s.

More pics to follow when I burrow into it....

IMG_7826.jpg

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
2:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m not an 1122 Pro in anyway, but I wouldn’t do too much to that cylinder if the intent is milling.

The timing on those 064 cylinders is darn good from the factory.

I’d open the muffler and tighten the squish up to 20-25 if it’s off. Maybe widen the exhaust port and that’s it.

Heat is the enemy of a milling saw, so I personally wouldn’t increase compression or advance timing.

Adamski

Plebus Splederns
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m not an 1122 Pro in anyway, but I wouldn’t do too much to that cylinder if the intent is milling.

The timing on those 064 cylinders is darn good from the factory.

I’d open the muffler and tighten the squish up to 20-25 if it’s off. Maybe widen the exhaust port and that’s it.

Heat is the enemy of a milling saw, so I personally wouldn’t increase compression or advance timing.

Exactly why I was asking. Cheers! I know that the dual port is the right route to cool it. So I may just open the exhaust as you have said to help more gasses escape.

Glock37

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Split old bearing and insert in bearing bores
rubber stopper in seal areas bolt case halves together
blast what u can together then separate and do places u missed
36 grit black beauty is what we use
Wash with hot water
Heat case halves to dry

Tape off oil pump area

Tape off gasket surface you can powder inside oil tank and crankcase tape off cyl base area plug hules and plugs ove impulse and brake pins also coil posts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MG porting

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Exactly why I was asking. Cheers! I know that the dual port is the right route to cool it. So I may just open the exhaust as you have said to help more gasses escape.
Check your squish before you pop the cylinder off you might get lucky enough to do just a base gasket delete without having to do anything to the base of the cylinder or squishband my 064 is right at .019 but you'rs without base gasket might be at .020 and call it good it will have more than enough power for what you're going to be using it for.:beer-toast1:. oh and reaset You're carb if you're going to be milling with it set on the rich side remember you don't need a raise car for a milling saw.:)

BonScott46

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What does the plating look like after running that low profile filter? Guys go through cylinders pretty quickly here running that setup milling. The stock muffler has the super restrictive baffle and puny exit port which does not help with heat.

Adamski

Plebus Splederns
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What does the plating look like after running that low profile filter? Guys go through cylinders pretty quickly here running that setup milling. The stock muffler has the super restrictive baffle and puny exit port which does not help with heat.

Havn’t pulled the cylinder. So you recommend a foam hd setup? It hasn’t done a lot of milling, probably a few days at most so far in its life. Muffler is a dual port new old stock.

Adamski

Plebus Splederns
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I somehow like saws look old and tired but having new internal and blowing everyone out of water lol..

That’s my plan. Just to get the mag parts into good working order to prevent any mag corrosion etc, the plastics, tank and handle etc can stay as is. New bearings, seals and gaskets and check maybe a new set of cabers and I think I’ll call it a day. Obvs will now be looking at a hd filter set up

BonScott46

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Havn’t pulled the cylinder. So you recommend a foam hd setup? It hasn’t done a lot of milling, probably a few days at most so far in its life. Muffler is a dual port new old stock.
Check the baffle, if it is intact I don't see the saw benefiting from the dual port like it would with the end of the baffle cut off and switching to a maxflow or HD setup.

Filter Base - 1122 120 3411
Kit w/base, cover and HD2 filter - 1122 007 1031

Both ls engineers and DIY Spare parts can get them. I bought the whole kit, but would only buy the base if I had it to do again and put the extra money towards a maxflow and filter oil. I buy the Maxima Fab 1 and cleaner 2 bottle combo, very effective and easy to apply.

Adamski

Plebus Splederns
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Last edited:

Adamski

Plebus Splederns
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Finally had a chance to take it out of the box. New 20” still in the post as is the 36”.. but it is soo light compared to my outgoing 660.

EADC1745-E25E-4D10-BA90-B983A43EFDA8.jpg

Last edited: