Stihl 064, 066, 660 oem vs am rebuild

weedkilla

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:43 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sorry for stupid long title, I wanted something that would come up in a search easily.

My first 1122 series saw landed in my lap and as you guys have just had a good play with Chinese 660 copies I thought it might be a good time to start a thread.
Dotted in dozens of different threads is snippets of information about what works and what doesn't when looking at am parts for the 1122 series of saws, and this is probably the best covered series of saws with am parts.
So, my questions are - what parts are oem only? Which am parts are fine and you would recommend?
What I can see so far -

Oem only -

Wrist pin bearing
Circlips
Chain adjuster

Any thoughts or recommendations?

weedkilla

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So rubber parts are an issue. How about inlet boot, crank seals, av rubbers?
If this thread gets long I'll update the first post.

Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
3:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Along with the worm gear I would say also the clutch drum.

Piston Pin Bearing.

Fuel and Oil caps.

Fuel line and pulse line.

Seals.

AM chain tensioner is serviceable just have to make a bushing (It is really a problem with the slot in the AM cases).

BuckthornBonnie

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oem only: crank, cylinder, circlips, fuel line, filter, recoil rotor pulley, chain tensioner, brake guts (spring is ok), decomp valve, pin bearing (I have a few AM running, though), worm gear

AM “ok”- plastics, recoil (w oem guts), AF, AF base (not available for 064 style... would need all later 066/660 style), AF flange, carb (not perfect), handle is a little weak, clutch w oem springs, most AV, seals, some oil pumps

AM “great” - dust brake covers, brake, Meteor piston, clutch drum bearings, decomp plugs, washers/e clips

BuckthornBonnie

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Agreed. I’m trying a set out in an 064 that’s a dedicated noodle saw. Still alive after 2 years or so.

I wouldn’t recommend them as I have gotten bad ones before.

Last edited:

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My Flying Tiger runs great and has survived some milling. The only parts I did not use (or replaced) are, piston pin clips, chain adjuster, and fuel cap. Everything else (except B&C) came with the saw. I'm curious to see how the fuel line and filter hold up.

I do not think they will be as durable as OEM, but I think most of them are holding up much better than a lot of people thought they would. I don't think there was a single failure at Randy's competition, and some of those saws were running really strong, which puts a lot of addl stress on the parts.

In summary, I think they are a really good product for the $, and I like the Cross P&C option. Makes them run stronger than a stock saw (just add timing advance and muff mod).

weedkilla

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Interesting that no one mentioned pistons, is that just because stihl USA has dropped the oem piston price so much it isn't worth worrying about?

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The price of an OEM Stihl piston (for a 460) went from $50 to $95 in the last 6 months.

I was very happy with the piston that came with the Cross kit, and it came with Caber rings!!! It was lighter than an OEM piston, and had wider skirts!!! So far, so good!

Last edited:

Cracker Boy

Fl cracker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Oem 064 is 130 bucks i run meteors 35 bucks with cabers i get cabers 5 bucks a ring.i priced out rings for 52 mm 064 460 they were 27 bucks. Plus tax i prefer cabers anyway got em for 10 bucks shipped free no tax.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm putting a Meteor in a 461 ($45 shipped), don't even want to know what OEM would be. Often the Meteor is heavier than OEM, but they are durable, and I believe they come with Cabers also.

brandonstclair20

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Oem 064 is 130 bucks i run meteors 35 bucks with cabers i get cabers 5 bucks a ring.i priced out rings for 52 mm 064 460 they were 27 bucks. Plus tax i prefer cabers anyway got em for 10 bucks shipped free no tax.

Where do you get meteor pistons for $35 for 064? I have one that’s missing the piston.
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cracker Boy

Fl cracker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'm putting a Meteor in a 461 ($45 shipped), don't even want to know what OEM would be. Often the Meteor is heavier than OEM, but they are durable, and I believe they come with Cabers also.
They do come with cabers mike get hold of me and i will tell you were there cheaper 32 35 shipped

Last edited: