SteveSr

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
6:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hello,

I have a later model 044 that is having a hard time oiling a (25) 24" bar buried in dry white oak. The saw is currently using about 1/2 tank of oil to tank of fuel WITH the oiler turned all the way up.

I just disassembled the oil pump and didn't really find any crud in the pump. I did, however, find some crusty stuff on the adjustment shaft and on the ramp area of the piston. I can't really tell if this crud limited the pump stroke or not. I have not had a chance to run the saw again since I had it apart.

So is this the expected performance of the oiler on the 044? If so, are there any modifications that I cam make to improve the oil output? I notice that the 460 pump is physically different on the pump output. After checking the 046 IPL I can't tell if the 046 piston or control bolt would fit in my 044 oil pump.

Thanks,
Steve

Canadian farm boy

“Normal” people scare me.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That sounds about right for stock 044 oil pump output. 1/2-2/3 of a tank of oil to 1 tank of fuel.

I don’t believe there are any high output control bolts or shafts for the 044 oil pump but they’re easy enough to modify.

https://opeforum.com/threads/stihl-044-oiler-mod.9271/

5000+

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dont know why but I have a older 044 that slobbers oil.

SteveSr

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That sounds about right for stock 044 oil pump output. 1/2-2/3 of a tank of oil to 1 tank of fuel.

I don’t believe there are any high output control bolts or shafts for the 044 oil pump but they’re easy enough to modify.

https://opeforum.com/threads/stihl-044-oiler-mod.9271/

Thanks for the link. If my recent cleaning hasn't helped I may have to get out the Dremel tool. The linked thread said that there was only 0.2mm (.oo8") difference between the regular and HO oil pumps which is hard to believe.

SteveSr

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dont know why but I have a older 044 that slobbers oil.

I don't know when Stihl introduced the 044 but all of my data (from MediaCat) going back to 1996 doesn't show any changes to the oil pump after this date. Does your pump have the small 1/4 turn adjustment screw or the large head multi-turn screw like came on my 034S. I think that Stihl reduced the amount of oil delivery in later years due to environmental regulations/concerns.

5000+

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't know when Stihl introduced the 044 but all of my data (from MediaCat) going back to 1996 doesn't show any changes to the oil pump after this date. Does your pump have the small 1/4 turn adjustment screw or the large head multi-turn screw like came on my 034S. I think that Stihl reduced the amount of oil delivery in later years due to environmental regulations/concerns.
Pretty sure the 1/4 turn adjustment. I think the 044 came out in 1989.
Mine is a 90 or 91 10mm crank.

5000+

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
And it is very well used and has the oiginal pump. It will use most of the oil per tank of fuel. Stock saw stock muffler.

SteveSr

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Pretty sure the 1/4 turn adjustment. I think the 044 came out in 1989.
Mine is a 90 or 91 10mm crank.
That is interesting... My 034S was made in 1993 (carb date code) and has the multi-turn screw oil pump adjustment.

Anyone have an early IPL for the 044 that will show the part numbers for the oil pump piston and the control bolt?

qurotro

Cookie Cutter
Local time
5:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the link. If my recent cleaning hasn't helped I may have to get out the Dremel tool. The linked thread said that there was only 0.2mm (.oo8") difference between the regular and HO oil pumps which is hard to believe.
You have to believe i think.. And you would've go to far if you get too greedy. And running a tank of oil with 1/2 tank of fuel.

5000+

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't recall ever seeing multi turn adjustment on thoose models
Maybe the stop is broken.

SteveSr

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't recall ever seeing multi turn adjustment on those models
This new (quarter turn) pump design may have been introduced with the 044 but Stihl can still play games with the output by changing the pump piston and control bolt. This is what an earlier IPL would show.

I also looked through my IPL for the 044 and 046 and found that the standard 046 oil pump used the same control bolt as the 044 pump. This would tend to tell met that IF the control bolt and pump piston are matched then the 046 oiler has the same output as the o44. Can anyone confirm this? The pump piston part numbers can't be compared directly due the difference in pump design. Note that there is a different control bolt and pump piston is called out for the 046R (rescue) which has higher oil output.

DND 9000

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:55 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This would tend to tell met that IF the control bolt and pump piston are matched then the 046 oiler has the same output as the o44. Can anyone confirm this?

Yes, it is the same output: 8-18 cm³/min

SteveSr

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes, it is the same output: 8-18 cm³/min
Thanks for the confirmation. This may be the reason that a lot of folks were modifying/replacing oilers on the 046.

The control bolt obviously limits piston travel at less than full output adjustment. So can the maximum output be increased by replacing or modifying just the control bolt or does the ramp on the piston also have to be changed? I guess that this would depend if there was any piston ramp left at full output. Mine is back together so it is hard to check.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks for the confirmation. This may be the reason that a lot of folks were modifying/replacing oilers on the 046.

The control bolt obviously limits piston travel at less than full output adjustment. So can the maximum output be increased by replacing or modifying just the control bolt or does the ramp on the piston also have to be changed? I guess that this would depend if there was any piston ramp left at full output. Mine is back together so it is hard to check.
Yes the control bolt only gets more oil to the bar.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You have to mod both. You do the control bolt nub by reducing its diameter and steepen the low side of the ramp to get more oil. Start by taking .010 off both and see where that gets you for output. Less is more, you can’t put back what you grind off. You can always grind more off. The link Canadian farm boy posted is good reference.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't recall ever seeing multi turn adjustment on thoose models
It’s a rare bird, but it exists. Was early OEM 1125.

Had one here on an 034S. It’s a multi-turn control bolt with no stop. The case acts as the stop so that the control bolt doesn’t get fully unthreaded and fall out.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

It’s the low part of the ramp that controls the output, that’s where it’s limited from by the control bolt. It’s very hard to envision without it being apart in front of you. If you take the pump apart and put the bolt and piston together in proper orientation it will become apparent.

I may have some other pics of it, but you need to modify both the ramp so that there is actually more stroke and the control bolt so that it allows the difference at max oiling.

It would be interesting to know if an 046 HO piston and bolt would slide into an 044 pump body.

I’ll add in that I believe modifying the groove at the tail end of the piston does nothing at all. The pump works via displacement. Making the area larger just makes it a larger displacement inside the bore, but the difference in the displacement between the piston being up and down will remain constant.

Last edited:

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here it is.

4799DDCA-8B9B-4FB1-80E1-E3349A283E47.jpeg

The ramp rides on the symmetric part of the bolt. The symmetric part of the piston rides on the offset tit on the control bolt.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Also have another pump running and HO gear with a stock control bolt and it also puts out more oil that a stock pump.