Stihl 039 kill wire problem

James English

Active OPE Member
Local time
7:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hello all Doing a project on 039 and there became an issue with the kill wire switch. the multi function rocker switch keeps knocking the female spade wire off of the meatal tab. I tried pinching the female tab tight but no good. When I use the rocker switch to off the wire gets kicked off the male tab. Was just wondering would contact still go threw if I tried crazy glue? Any ideas

alltracman78

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Well, I at least have zero experience with Stihl specific stuff. So a picture would help.
Is the spade terminal physically being pushed off? Or it pops off when you move the switch?

Just to make sure, you didn't squeeze the outside (skinny) part of the spade terminal? You squeezed the two curved "wings" down closer to the flat bottom part?

It will probably still have a connection if you superglue it (bulbs and terminals still have a connection when dielectric grease is used, though superglue is thinner so may be able to fill in smaller gaps and block the flow of electrons), but I wouldn't suggest it. If you (or someone else) need to get the wire off at a later date it will be harder. And it may not have a good connection unexpectedly and surprise you. Which isn't good with a chainsaw.

IMO unless it's an emergency fix, do it the right way. New kill wire (or switch) shouldn't be that expensive.

r7000

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i have an 039 and know exactly what u are talking about

I used 14 gauge copper wire, from romex 14/2, soldered in to the existing lead; I cut the existing spade thing off. The 14 guage solid copper wire fits into the already worn existing plastic rocker switch and will make contact nicely with the brass spring thing that makes connection to ground. Solder the existing wire, where u cut the space terminal off of, to the 1/2" length of solid 14 gauge copper wire that will snap in to the rocker switch. I don't remember if I also used some plastic type epoxy to further secure the 14 gauge solid wire into the rocker kill switch. And if 14 gauge is not thick enough, look for 12 gauge (i.e. 12/2). you only need a piece an inch long