Stihl 036 problem brainstorming

Saw_Squatch

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
7:13 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I've got a buddy of mine from work who found out I'm into chainsaws and he said he's got an original 036 (not the pro model) that he's having a hard time with. Chief complaints are hard starting and it'll run but not idle when warm. I haven't gotten to look at the saw yet but what's everyone else's vibe based on this information? My initial impression is either the low jet is too fat and choking out the saw, does this sound right to you guys? Obviously I'll update when I get it on the bench I just wanted to start brainstorming early so I wasn't going into this totally blind.

jmester

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:13 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It could be an out of adjustment carb.

When was the last time the fuel system was gone threw? Pressure and vac test. How does compression feel?

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
8:13 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All of the above.

Examine slug through exhaust port for general health.

Vac test the saw, the fly side seal is notorious for failing. The impulse line should show any faults there.

Kit the carb, or get a replacement. If it’s got the Zama, the Welch plug area is triangular and tough to deal with. Also check that the choke is engaging and disengaging, another known model problem. The $20 Chinese replacements for these saws really aren’t that terrible. At least you can test the saw with one.