Stihl 034 rebuild

tapritchett

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
9:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just got a mint 034, I want to swap out the piston and cylinder for a 036. Which aftermarket piston and cylinder is best? Part numbers?? I plan to do a bit of porting to the new jug.

JohnnyBlade

JUST GONNA SEND IT
GoldMember
Local time
8:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good luck with ur build. Id research a lil more and find some threads on it first before u start.
I actually have this same scenario on my plate in the future. I have found many threads already on this site that will help u along. Knowledge is ur best friend not answers. AM piston the only one to use/ recommend is Meteor. As for the Jug nobody will point u that way. Ur best off putting up a want ad for an OEM 034 super or 036 jug.
Just dont take the one i need:D
Good luck, take and post pics. Lots of fellas to help along the way. Hope this helps:abduct:

Agent Smith

Hack of all trades
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I second that. Watch eBay or post a wanted add on this site. Good used OEM 036 pro and non pro top ends pop up for under $100 on ebay. Personally I'd stay away from aftermarket jugs. I spent alot of money on them in the past and haven't seen one worth a *s-wordt, even the high end meteor kits more than once. All junk garbage herd of turds

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We will walk you through it here.

Go oem or you’ll be sorry, as the performance will be less than your 46mm jug.

If you find the coveted 034S jug, you may need an exhaust spacer depending on your muffler.

If you find the more common 036 jug, you’ll need to relieve the front air dam under the 034 cover to fit over the elongated 2nd fin of the 036 jug. You may also need the spacer like with the 034S jug. Easier to get an 036 muffler, even AM, and put it on. The 036 mufflers don’t have an inner baffle and are easier to modify. The rarer 034S muffler has an elongated baffle the is quite effective, but again, it’s rare to find.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I did one like this some time ago using a used 036 cylinder and a Meteor piston with Caber piston rings .It came out real well but like has been mentioned had some problems with the covers and muffler fitment .
For 60 cc I have to say it had plenty of pep .
At the present time along with half a dozen saws on the "to do" list I acquired an 034 super which in affect is an 036 .Although my favorite is the 038 series this series runs a very close second .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is just an opinion but if it was I I'd at least use an OEM cylinder .For aftermarket piston Meteor with Caber rings but use OEM circlips . If you could find new OEM top end you'd have more money in it than the saw is worth .You can find good used cylinders but it might be a waiting game .Then again a lot of restorations of anything with moving parts can be just that.Don't get impatient they'll show up sooner or later .

cuinrearview

Unskilled Hammer Donkey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's a good used OEM 036 top end that popped up the other day. Price is pretty good too

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/153890965769
OP better hurry up and buy that before I do just to stick on my shelf! I have a Super on the bench right now. I was working on the KS jug last night with the rotary motor I finally hung. The ceiling on the exhaust port on those jugs defy logic and the upper transfer port shape and corners are beautiful.

Agent Smith

Hack of all trades
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
OP better hurry up and buy that before I do just to stick on my shelf! I have a Super on the bench right now. I was working on the KS jug last night with the rotary motor I finally hung. The ceiling on the exhaust port on those jugs defy logic and the upper transfer port shape and corners are beautiful.
I hear ya. I'd have bought it if I didn't have a couple on the shelf already

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Too late I just bought it, thanks.
NO, just kidding.
I too will need this in the future and will watch this topic.
My 034 has cut a LOT, and is now low compression.

I also tried 1 aftermarket top end, not again soon.

JohnnyBlade

JUST GONNA SEND IT
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
WOW! Thanks for the tag Tim. I dont know how i missed this. Slacking i guess. Dang.:(
Just stumbled on it looking for the link i posted in this thread.:D 034 is on deck! Parts coming in as we speak. Trying to research a lil more on the build. Besides ms250's and a few parts saws i had this is really my 2nd full stihl build. Out of my jred/husky comfort zone. Dont wanna pull a Munson:risas3:

cuinrearview

Unskilled Hammer Donkey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
WOW! Thanks for the tag Tim. I dont know how i missed this. Slacking i guess. Dang.:(
Just stumbled on it looking for the link i posted in this thread.:D 034 is on deck! Parts coming in as we speak. Trying to research a lil more on the build. Besides ms250's and a few parts saws i had this is really my 2nd full stihl build. Out of my jred/husky comfort zone. Dont wanna pull a Munson:risas3:
They're not that different. Take a few pictures and lay things on the bench together to help jog your memory. I seated a 48mm KS jug on a case last night. I have a few more parts to clean and should be assembling soon. Let me know if anything hangs you up or you want any pics.

JohnnyBlade

JUST GONNA SEND IT
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Will do! So is ur 48mm KS an 034S or an 036 jug? Ill tell ya one thing rite now that is got me worried is the damn tank vent. Its the tower style that has 2 upright tubes, one tube has a set screw in it and one coarse thread flathead screw that goes through the top of both tubes.

They're not that different. Take a few pictures and lay things on the bench together to help jog your memory. I seated a 48mm KS jug on a case last night. I have a few more parts to clean and should be assembling soon. Let me know if anything hangs you up or you want any pics.

cuinrearview

Unskilled Hammer Donkey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Will do! So is ur 48mm KS an 034S or an 036 jug? Ill tell ya one thing rite now that is got me worried is the damn tank vent. Its the tower style that has 2 upright tubes, one tube has a set screw in it and one coarse thread flathead screw that goes through the top of both tubes.
I haven't had to mess with the vents. This one is a super.

JohnnyBlade

JUST GONNA SEND IT
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I haven't had to mess with the vents. This one is a super.
this is the dude. U can see the set screw down in it. The tube with set screw is what goes directly on the tank. I cant get any air through it with the set screw in it. It shows it on the IPL so its supposed to be in there. Not sure how it works.
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

JohnnyBlade

JUST GONNA SEND IT
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My vent is the same. I didn't pull it. Were you having fueling issues?
Saw came in a box in pieces. So yes may have been having fuel issues:D JK i just like learning what makes these things tick. Yes its cost me money for sure but im learning instead of just getting them running. I just dont get how the set screw lets the tank breathe. The big screw at the top will let air in and out but the set screw is frogs azz tight. If u loosen it till it lets some air in or out i feel it could rattle out. I dont know if there is a factory setting for turns out or in on it but it would be nice to have a lil insight of how it operates. And yes i screwed it out and didnt count turnso_O