High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Stihl 034 Clutch is pinching oil pump gear, won't turn.

Wisconsin Welder

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I am rebuilding a Stihl 034. While putting it together this evening, I found that once the clutch has been installed the oil pump gear is very difficult to turn. Attached are picture showing the area with and without the oil pump gear installed.

When I remove the clutch assembly the oil pump gear turns with only the resistance the pump put on it.

It seems as though the sleeve over the crank is too short to have the clutch assembly bottom out on it before it contacts and loads the oil pump gear, I am only guessing that the sleeve serves that purpose.

My other guesses are that this aftermarket oil pump is too thick and the oil pump gear is then held to far into where the clutch needs to be, or that the crankshaft is sticking too far out the PTO side, which I doubt because I just put the halves together and centered the crank when I did so, and there isn't enough room in the case to bring the PTO side of the crank out far enough to correct this.

IMG_20201014_192512.jpgIMG_20201014_192533.jpg

Any ideas?

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
9:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How close is the clip on the crank to the seal ?

Wisconsin Welder

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
How close is the clip on the crank to the seal ?

Is there a known value for that? I'm not putting pants on, I just got inside and cleaned up, I will measure it tomorrow.
By clip do you mean the groove for the E-clip that holds the clutch on?

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Like a little tiny washer or the big 2" -ish O.D. one that goes behind the clutch. The big one was installed
The big one I think. Though some of the older saws used a smaller washer in there and not the big diameter one. I’m not totally certain

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m having the same issue with an 036. I assembled everything per the IPL so I know that’s not an issue. I did see the brass inner bearing on the drive gear was taller then the steel sleeve that the 2” washer rides on. So I ground the brass lower so the washer sat on the steel sleeve and it all spun smoothly once the clutch was installed. Looking for a full parts replacement of all oil parts just to get this saw out my door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wisconsin Welder

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
This ^^^
Washer on first and then the crank sleeve

Hmm, this would make more sense, there was no washer in there though. Which now that I think of it makes even more sense, the oil pump I pulled off of this was worn from the clutch bell.

Item 18 in the diagram below, I seent it.

7f3e90f2-d625-4154-a0c0-c9afd5c40fd0.jpg

Wisconsin Welder

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Looking for a full parts replacement of all oil parts just to get this saw out my door.

Right? I like working on my own saws, I tell everyone I don't work on saws, yet, I end up looking at certain peoples saws trying to help,
this 034 has been here for a month, bearings, seals, all the rubber etc.

Canadian farm boy

“Normal” people scare me.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hmm, this would make more sense, there was no washer in there though. Which now that I think of it makes even more sense, the oil pump I pulled off of this was worn from the clutch bell.

Item 18 in the diagram below, I seent it.

View attachment 262759
Number 18 is what you need.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think #18 is your first try. Lack of it is your likely culprit. Don’t think that the 034’s came with the big washer behind the clutch, I believe that started with MS360.

These saws, like other older Stihl’s, came with a few different clutches which are slightly thicker or thinner. Some are set up for the large oil pump protector washer and some aren’t. Even with the washer and sleeve assembled correctly, the wrong clutch can cause binding of the worm gear. I’ve mostly had the issue with 1128’s.

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Im gonna order 18,19,20,21.