BangBang77

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
2:45 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Guys

This may be a stupid question but don't know as I have ZERO ported saws and no experience with them. I am looking to change that soon.

I recently picked up a nice clean 026 Pro that was straight gassed. The tank handle was a little rough so I found a new one in the trading post cheap, ordered a new OEM piston & cylinder kit, intake boot, crank seals, fuel line & filter, impulse line, and a decomp plug from my local dealer. It had the old non-adjustable carburetor on it so I grabbed a new fully-adjustable Walbro for it. I have everything cleaned up and ready for assembly.

My question is this - Can the cylinder be ported without a porter having the entire saw? I have read recently about guys throwing a pre-ported jug on a saw with good results. I would like to send the jug out without sending the entire saw...

Thanks,
Jared

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
3:45 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes...

Just be sure to communicate with the porter. They usually have a builder saw on hand to get their numbers...

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:45 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
One with much experience with that model shouldn't have a problem, otherwise at least a squish measurement would be needed.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
3:45 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
From the porter’s end, it’s always better to have the entire saw.

Cases can vary, so squish can be off.

Then there is assembly, matching the exhaust to the heat shield/muffler/gasket, etc....

I’ve had a guy nearly ruin a port job by poor assembly. Wasn’t exactly his fault, as the intake was much wider than stock causing him to catch a ring gap. He pushed so hard he actually bent the plating outward into the cylinder.