STIHL Stihl 011 AVT - Looking for Info/Help

larasea

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
3:01 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My name is Tom and I'm a newbie here. This is my first post looking for information. I don't claim to know really anything about repairing chainsaws, but in the last few years I have been tinkering with some saws. Just minor stuff and always learning. My buddy bought this saw, Stihl 011 AVT, new in 1991. It has not run in several years. I discovered the ignition coil was bad and I replaced it. The saw is now running and tuned up fairly nice.

The saw is not oiling and I'm thinking the next step is to remove the oil pump for cleaning. This is a first for me. No experience with oil pumps. Looking for information and maybe some past experiences with this saw and issue.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 69964835716__C87BBEE7-712E-46F4-AE34-A1456BF9C3C9.jpg
    69964835716__C87BBEE7-712E-46F4-AE34-A1456BF9C3C9.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2426.jpg
    IMG_2426.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 69964833381__584E4A81-BA02-496F-8202-EA03416ADD9C.jpg
    69964833381__584E4A81-BA02-496F-8202-EA03416ADD9C.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 7

WoodAbuser

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
0llAVT was the first saw I ever owned and still have it. The oil pump diaphragms get very hard after all these years. They seem to last a little longer when they are used regularly, but get far worse when setting for years unused. There is only one place to get oil pump parts for these. I get them from:
Weiss Motorgeraete
Mantigostr. 4a
86830 Schwabmuenchen
Germany
eMail motorgeraete@weiss-florian.de
DE201857026
They will take good care of you.

larasea

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
0llAVT was the first saw I ever owned and still have it. The oil pump diaphragms get very hard after all these years. They seem to last a little longer when they are used regularly, but get far worse when setting for years unused. There is only one place to get oil pump parts for these. I get them from:
Weiss Motorgeraete
Mantigostr. 4a
86830 Schwabmuenchen
Germany
eMail motorgeraete@weiss-florian.de
DE201857026
They will take good care of you.
Thank you. Waiting on after market gaskets, uptake, and filter before removing to look at diaphragm.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:01 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've got one, freebie back burner deal .runs,no oil either .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wide awake after the time change .So my curiosty got the best of me and I looked at the IPL of the 011-012 .From what I can see is whoever designed those things must have been survivors of the acid wars of the 60's and 70's .The entire saw not just the oil pump .That diaphragm from what I see has a captive rod on the end .Sort of like a main diaphragm of a carb with the captive plate riveted on .
That said evidently by using a diaphragm with the captive rod evidently it acts the same way as the pumps on a 10 series McCulloch .Using the impuse pulsations.with the rod to act as a pump .There has to be some sort of check valves involved else it would not work .
It might respond to the old kerosene treatment and it might not .That's what I would try first before dissecting that contraption .Other that thinking out loud it might be possible to take the main diaphragm from a large bodied carb like a Tilley HL or HR .Drill the plate loose and try to install the rod assemb
ley some how and reshape the bolt pattern to fit the oil pump assembly .Nothing is impossible .

larasea

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wide awake after the time change .So my curiosty got the best of me and I looked at the IPL of the 011-012 .From what I can see is whoever designed those things must have been survivors of the acid wars of the 60's and 70's .The entire saw not just the oil pump .That diaphragm from what I see has a captive rod on the end .Sort of like a main diaphragm of a carb with the captive plate riveted on .
That said evidently by using a diaphragm with the captive rod evidently it acts the same way as the pumps on a 10 series McCulloch .Using the impuse pulsations.with the rod to act as a pump .There has to be some sort of check valves involved else it would not work .
It might respond to the old kerosene treatment and it might not .That's what I would try first before dissecting that contraption .Other that thinking out loud it might be possible to take the main diaphragm from a large bodied carb like a Tilley HL or HR .Drill the plate loose and try to install the rod assemb
ley some how and reshape the bolt pattern to fit the oil pump assembly .Nothing is impossible .
If I understand your post, there is in fact a check valve in the oil pump tube. Air will pass thru mine from top to bottom, going away from pump towards bar mount. Air will not pass in the opposite direction. The diaphragm in the pump was hard and the oil line was rotten - cracked. I got the new oil line yesterday and will know today if the problem is rectified. Removing and installing the oil line is going to be challenge. This little saw runs pretty nice and see why my buddy wanted me to get it up and running.

As a side note, I have been able to find all the parts from my Stihl dealer or aftermarket on Ebay.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
FWIW I've never turned a wrench on an 011 but I did on an 012 a few years back .Funky carb,rebuild and a broken throttle cable and a dull chain .That and a 49 CC J-Red .That BTW has been the only J-Red I've tinkered on.Much to my surprise the one and only Stihl dealerships of many locally I do business with had the cable in stock for a whole 12 dollars .For a tiny little saw it didn't do bad IMO .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
BTW I took a little look/see on flea bay .Low and behold there in were several sellers of oil pump parts .However were a person to completely renew those pumps you'd have more money in it than the saw is worth.

larasea

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
OK, got the oiler rebuilt and installed new oil line. Now oiling. Onto a carburetor rebuild. Just about got it.

All total: new ignition coil, av mounts, oiler rebuild, new oil line, new fuel filter, spark plug, air filter, and last will be the carb. Roughly $150 in parts. Ignition coil was the expensive part.