Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:13 PM
User ID
Reaction score
It seemed like a tech thing so...

I'm about to test two types... one is 3M to 400*F
The other 3M goes to 600*F but I do not have it yet.
Thoughts?
feedback please

A few projects here need it and nothing factory made is available.
Will be testing on chainsaws first under the muffler and above it.
If it survives that it moves on to other stuffs more permanent.

Tia

Egg Shooter

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
It seemed like a tech thing so...

I'm about to test two types... one is 3M to 400*F
The other 3M goes to 600*F but I do not have it yet.
Thoughts?
feedback please

A few projects here need it and nothing factory made is available.
Will be testing on chainsaws first under the muffler and above it.
If it survives that it moves on to other stuffs more permanent.

Tia
I'm interested in how this turns out.

Last edited:

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
7:13 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I used something similar to your Home Depot stuff, I think the brand I sused was 3M the only thing I thought was it was a bit thin, and you could scratch the foil, so I doubled it up On the 044 that I rebuilt.

I guessed it would be ok and reflect the heat a bit more than nothing o_O

Gord

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Bought a couple of 660 gasket seal kits from a local dealer, don't know where there made but they did include that foil for the case under the muffler, pre-cutout but get it right the first time around, hopefully it holds up ok.- 3m stuff on husky plastic cover muffler area sounds like a good idea and cheap.

lwn9186

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:13 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Some of the heavier aluminum tape I have found is at a heating/cooling wholesaler. I have found it works fine.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm looking forward to the results, I have a couple of saws that could use it. Echo puts a reflective sticker under the muffler of some saws, including my CS-400.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to the results, I have a couple of saws that could use it. Echo puts a reflective sticker under the muffler of some saws, including my CS-400.

Welp... I need a pre test run. Just taped up a piston to start cooking it in the toaster over to see where this stuff gives up at on the adhesive.

3M 400*F tape and heavy duty AL duct tape is on the late lunch menu. Just got back from my first shot and still sorting a wrap for my 036 chunking down killer.

Have plenty of plastics that could use a fresh heat shield on the milling saws and some 200T tanks could use an updated reflector. These others... along with a few that will be running headers and custom air deflector plates need more protection imo.
This should smell good ;-)
Maybe use the old one out on the deck, yes...

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
20210215_144833.jpg

I always have quite a time trying to find my own threads is this forum. On my end they never appear in the new post section. When I search the this section it does not show up most times on my cell phone. Everything is fine on the Kindle Fire but never works for chit on my phone running Firefox. The Kindle uses a Silk browser. The pics are in my phone and yes it is a piece of chit cell.
Any who...

Ten minutes to go

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The results were good. In fact better than expected.

Both were fine at 250, 300, 350 the duct tape curled loose and was hanging off the piston at the top. Nearing 375F for ten minutes the 3M tape itself, loose, starts to curl. You don't start to smell the exposed adhesive till 400F past five minutes. It was too cold outside. Moved the test next to the wood stove. House smells just a bit. At that point I shut it down. Pulled out the piston from the oven. The exposed glue was singed and turning tan but not moving or running on the duct tape less so on the 3M. The taped down portions were not releasing the glue and took a tug to get them moving. The adhesive was loose on the thicker duct tape and starting to pull like taffy. The flue tape is thinner but the better option imo. It was still pretty tight and staying on the foil with very little stretch as it peeled away. Both still stick well.

3M 1.88" x 10 YD
UL723
part number 33801S
776S UL classified

70-0075-4355-9

3M Industrial Adhesives and Tape Division
St. Paul MN 55144-100 USA
1-800-362-3550
www.3M.com/industrialtapes

Straight gas and a two mix ten minute soak is next.
I need to split some firewood today. More food first cause all this oven testing is making me hungry :)

You know where you can stick your variables ;)