Sthil 290 stopped oiling Help

BuckthornBonnie

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Take the bar off and start the saw. See if you’re getting any oil at all.

Try flushing the tank with mix a couple times. Make sure the drum is engaged with the oil worm gear.

If it’s still a no go- take off the clutch drum to expose the clutch. See anything weird there? The oiler is behind the clutch. Removing the clutch will get ya to the next steps (worm gear inspection, lines and plastic connections in place, the pump itself), but let’s start with the easy stuff first.

67L36Driver

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’d look at the drive arm on the oil pump gear first. They wear the end off/gone.

Just remove the clutch drum.

Last edited:

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
290 oilers always crap out. Just buy a cheap aftermarket replacement..they normally oil better than the OEM part anyway. Be gentle when you remove it from the tank side. I've seen the plastic nipple snap off, then things get more involved.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
290 oilers always crap out. Just buy a cheap aftermarket replacement..they normally oil better than the OEM part anyway. Be gentle when you remove it from the tank side. I've seen the plastic nipple snap off, then things get more involved.
Agreed... they suck! 029-390 391 is chit too.

Hardhack

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I took the clutch off and got to the oil pump the worm gear looked ok. so I removed the pump the gear looked ok but where the oil comes into the pick up tube there was a slug of crap I blew a little air at it and blew a little air back thru the line into the tank then put it back together. I started the saw and revved a few times and presto out came oil. Thanks to all for the advice.