Square ground milling chain

HYPERSAWS

West coast cutter
Local time
7:21 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm just starting to mill with an Alaskan sawmill don't know much about angles for milling other than it should more blunt wondering if anyone could help me out
Thanks in advance

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
10:21 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm just starting to mill with an Alaskan sawmill don't know much about angles for milling other than it should more blunt wondering if anyone could help me out
Thanks in advance
The blunt angles on milling chain are more for smoothness from what I’ve seen. Regular square work chain should do a fine job milling. Might have to lower the depth gauges a little bit more than normal

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks in advance

You going to file them or throw them on the grinder?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
This is a modified square grind milling chain I have been using with good results. I don't change the top plate angle but I do make scoring teeth like the granberg chain. The scoring teeth have lower raker setting.View attachment 279564
This is my next try on wood over forty inches wide like oak. Chip clearing is the problem and full skip was not the answer.

Just like that I do believe is the answer.
I run twenty or fifteen degrees round ground sometimes square filed chisel 404.

stikine

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:21 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah, that's a full comp chain but I've done this to skip as well. 3/8" pitch & .063 gauge...trying to minimize kerf size

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yeah, that's a full comp chain but I've done this to skip as well. 3/8" pitch & .063 gauge...trying to minimize kerf size
I'm finding out I don't like full skip for milling. Bought my 3/8 in half skip for up to 135 dl. The rest are bigger in 404. The kerf is negligible imo if your not cutting expensive lumber. Slab, post and beam is most of my cutting. One 28" 404 for ripping dirty stuff and large posts or small beams.

BlackCoffin

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve been doing some milling the past few years. Most of the fancy chains people get into is for finish. Up in the PNW I sharpen my normal chains with a 50-55 degree angle but keep the 30 degrees across the cutter. For milling I will go to 60 degrees and keep the 30 degree angle. Sure it may be aggressive sometimes but if you have the horsepower to pull it then it’s not a problem. All slabs need finishing after drying so I don’t get caught up in the “this chain cuts smoother” smoke. There are other benefits to those chains if you’re in hardwood or don’t have the power to run an aggressive setup. Since you’re up north milling wood I’m used to then have at it with what you’ve got already. I’ve run out of the box 3/8 and .404 chain also. Square grind is aggressive but cuts fast. .404 semi chisel is some of the most durable stuff I’ve ran. Oregon 27ax is currently what I’m running and milled a 32” maple into 6 slabs without having to sharpen it or swap it out. Maple is probably the best cutting wood, fir sucks dulls a chain quickly.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I’ve been doing some milling the past few years. Most of the fancy chains people get into is for finish. Up in the PNW I sharpen my normal chains with a 50-55 degree angle but keep the 30 degrees across the cutter. For milling I will go to 60 degrees and keep the 30 degree angle. Sure it may be aggressive sometimes but if you have the horsepower to pull it then it’s not a problem. All slabs need finishing after drying so I don’t get caught up in the “this chain cuts smoother” smoke. There are other benefits to those chains if you’re in hardwood or don’t have the power to run an aggressive setup. Since you’re up north milling wood I’m used to then have at it with what you’ve got already. I’ve run out of the box 3/8 and .404 chain also. Square grind is aggressive but cuts fast. .404 semi chisel is some of the most durable stuff I’ve ran. Oregon 27ax is currently what I’m running and milled a 32” maple into 6 slabs without having to sharpen it or swap it out. Maple is probably the best cutting wood, fir sucks dulls a chain quickly.
Good info
I run 20 55

Sounds like your mostly cutting under 33" stuff on a standard mill, yes?

BlackCoffin

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mostly that size, I run a 28”-36” bar on my 661 and a 41” on my 880. I have a 72” as well that doesn’t get much use. The logs I’ve used it on were only approaching 40” or just over. I have a fit that’s almost 60” I’ve been putting off...see how the saw likes that...

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
60" is nice on a four foot mill. It gives a nice flat slab. The problem after that, going bigger, is the chip load. Full comp is faster but don't bog it or I'm just all jammed up right quick.
Hotrod has two power heads on his 60"ish set up. He says full comp runs fine. I'm porting one big saw soon to see how much that helps me out.

41ES in 404 works nice in the small mill for dry white oak and locust on the big saw. Full comp 8pin is real fast on that setup. Throws long noodles on small square chunks :)
Just ran out of those noodles for fire starter. Made more last week in the firewood pile. Works better than kindling imo.