High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Square filing chain

kpkustoms

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
7:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I think I'm getting this square filing thing down but I don't have a double bevel file just a skinny flat file will this file work to make the side plate right
I'm gonna continue anyway it'll I get the right file but it's only one cutter on a 84 link chain

That's a dumb question that I all ready know the awnser to

kpkustoms

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yes I thought about it while I was filing and ya no bueno on the 4 sided file but I'll get the muscle memory down. I've all ready killed half of the one tooth so far but im getting it

kpkustoms

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
But the sides must b angled to file the side plate right I'm pretty sure I can't get my tooth to look like all the ones I've seen here with a regular square file can I? In my head the angle is to steep on the side plate and I've filed the tooth almost in half and barely got the side plate at all many and 1/8" of the file is touching

Last edited:

kpkustoms

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I dont have a computer and i think i tryed uploading photos to sell saws a while ago with my phone at the time and it didn't work but I'll try I have a dif phone it might work

kpkustoms

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The vallorbe for the ATOP are 4 sided

So it can b done with a 4 sided 90 degree file if so than I just need to get my angles correct

Pics at a no go no way will I b able to get a good enough pic of the file or chain tooth

kpkustoms

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'm just using a old crappy (sharp) 4 sided flat file

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So it can b done with a 4 sided 90 degree file if so than I just need to get my angles correct

Pics at a no go no way will I b able to get a good enough pic of the file or chain tooth
That file is half a double bevel. It's on Bailey's site. It's shaped more like this\-/ than this 《-》

kpkustoms

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Ok I'm using a full that looks like this []

StandInTheFire

Sheriff of Mad Woman Gulch
Local time
5:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Well, I have to say I have met with ZERO success in multiple attempts at square filing by hand. Today I even used a double bevel file. I am no slouch when it comes to hand work, but I'll be damned if I am gonna spend another couple hours of my life for such results. I have run the real deal, but it ALL came off a Silvey grinder. Someone is gonna need to convince me that hand filing this stuff is really worth it....I got actual wood to cut and have very limited time to spend on various "shop projects".

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, I have to say I have met with ZERO success in multiple attempts at square filing by hand. Today I even used a double bevel file. I am no slouch when it comes to hand work, but I'll be damned if I am gonna spend another couple hours of my life for such results. I have run the real deal, but it ALL came off a Silvey grinder. Someone is gonna need to convince me that hand filing this stuff is really worth it....I got actual wood to cut and have very limited time to spend on various "shop projects".
Square filing ain't easy, and for most guys, it'll take way too long to do quickly and get good results. Thats what 511's are made for. Most guys wont want to shell out a grand for a Silvey either. A 511 with a good wheel will make quick work on a work chain. For most pros in my area, semi chisel on a 511 is the go to setup

Icepick69

Fart knocker extraordinaire.
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to sell a few silveys if your interested.

kpkustoms

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I've never run square at all so if I can figure out how to file square I can use that ability in the future
I know I can just buy square chain and I will. But if I can file it good now I'll be able to sharpen said bought chain

kpkustoms

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I wish I had the money for a silvey. I am thinking about fabing one and saving about 1000 bucks