Turd Furgeson

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
3:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey Guys,

I picked up a carving bar setup off marketplace from a guy yesterday who mentioned he couldn't get it to work on his 445 which I also have. The more I talked to him the more I realized he just lost interest after his saw broke. He cross threaded the spark plug and stripped the threads and I dragged the saw home too.

I have a bunch of Briggs and Stratton spark plug thread repair kits from a thrift store. These are the coil type, I've only done this once before to a Quad 4 engine about 10 years or so back and at that time I used a solid insert type repair and it held up great the whole time I had the car.

I'd prefer the solid insert, but I have the coil kits already. Have any of you had any issues with the coil type repairs on spark plugs? Should I use red loctite or permatex ultra copper on the OD of the coil?

Thanks!

TF

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
4:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey Guys,

I picked up a carving bar setup off marketplace from a guy yesterday who mentioned he couldn't get it to work on his 445 which I also have. The more I talked to him the more I realized he just lost interest after his saw broke. He cross threaded the spark plug and stripped the threads and I dragged the saw home too.

I have a bunch of Briggs and Stratton spark plug thread repair kits from a thrift store. These are the coil type, I've only done this once before to a Quad 4 engine about 10 years or so back and at that time I used a solid insert type repair and it held up great the whole time I had the car.

I'd prefer the solid insert, but I have the coil kits already. Have any of you had any issues with the coil type repairs on spark plugs? Should I use red loctite or permatex ultra copper on the OD of the coil?

Thanks!

TF
Jb weld on the outside of the helicoil/insert. You never want it to come outta there again lol. Just make sure the insert/helicoil is slightly below the sealing surface of the plug washer. Or else you’ll have a leaky plug and you’ll chase your tail trying to figure out why the saw has a airleak.

Last edited:

legdelimber

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Before installing it, Check your insert coil length against the spark plug thread length.
Just my old fading opinion here, but, I think they should be the same length.
I used to see the coil type inserts get backed out of the hole when the spark plug threads had carbon buildup on the end of the threads.

I wasn't the installer, just a wrench fumbler trying to fix things afterwards. So I have no idea of what tools & skill or knowledge level the installers had.

Last edited:

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Before installing it, Check your insert coil length against the spark plug thread length.
Just my old fading opinion here, but, I think they should be the same length.
I used to see the coil type inserts get backed out of the hole when the spark plug threads had carbon buildup on the end of the threads.

I wasn't the installer, just a wrench fumbler trying to fix things afterwards. So I have no idea of what tools & skill or knowledge level the installers had.

Good advice.

Turd Furgeson

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thank for the idea about JB weld. That should hold it in place.

I originally liked the idea of making the insert the same length as the plug, but then I thought about it a bit. If the coil is the same length as the plug, it means it would stick out into the cylinder, I wonder if the unsupported coils could fatigue at some point and break off in the engine... I would think the JB weld would have enough holding power to stay in place even if there is some carbon built up on the plug...

legdelimber

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
shoot, some days you just gotta roll with what you got!
It's always "a learning opportunity" the elders said to me when I was younger.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thank for the idea about JB weld. That should hold it in place.

I originally liked the idea of making the insert the same length as the plug, but then I thought about it a bit. If the coil is the same length as the plug, it means it would stick out into the cylinder, I wonder if the unsupported coils could fatigue at some point and break off in the engine... I would think the JB weld would have enough holding power to stay in place even if there is some carbon built up on the plug...

It would have to be a high temperature version to work.
Myself, I use a high temp red loctite to hold coils in. A wait time is necessary as to not "lock" your plug or fastener in.

Carhartt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have the solid ones. The thread tool isn't cheap. If you aren't ever going to use it again it wld be an expensive concept. I use Stihl Dirko on the back of my threads and never had any problems. Now the solid threads have a crimp groove with teeth in them that set into the cylinder for holding bite.

Stevetheboatguy

mountain dew and ibuprofen please
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
0505202147.jpg

Use a ton of these to repair plug holes that have been ham fisted. Hold up very well. The Napa kit is a smaller od. The pt kit is larger and works on most that have been previously "repaired"

Steven